• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Customer dispute/claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer dispute/claim

Hi and help!
    We are a small LTD company (husband and wife set up) and have just received a claim from a customer totalling £7500 for complaints with our work.
    Is there anyone on here that might be able to advise on our obligations as we are sure they are trying to pull a fast one but want to handle it correctly.
    Thanks for your time
    Tags: None

It will hugely depend on the work you undertook for the customer, the contract / terms, and what the actual complaint is. Can you tell us a bit more?

The probably law you need to refer to will be the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, thanks so much for your quick response. The customer hired us to install the plumbing and heating at his new build. After being beaten down on the initial quote we agreed to install a water softener F.O.C to get the job. It was never stated what brand or type nor cost would be involved.

Towards the end of the job we sent a link to a softener we recommended and the customer text back to say they preferred a different one which was a filter as they preferred not to use salt, we agreed to purchase that one and then installed it. Around 4/5 months later we were told that his family were having skin reactions and they thought it was due to the filter that was installed. We attended the property, removed the filter and sent it back to the manufacturer for testing. They concluded there was nothing wrong with the product and although it is rare some people can have reactions. However the company refunded the cost of £500 and we forwarded that on to the customer. In the meantime he took it upon himself to instruct Harvey Water Softeners to install a softener and then told us we would pick up the cost. We offered an alternative solution and agreed to install it for free even though our terms and conditions state that labour will not be covered if the product is not found to be faulty. We heard nothing more until a letter has been sent to us yesterday claiming around £7500 of compensation for a whole list of things which are completely unfair. The complaints list includes work that was not quoted, damage to units we didn't install, compensation for work that is yet to be carried out because they weren't ready for us (we have offered to go and carry out the work but he has hired someone else)

Its a complete mess....

Comment

Do you not carry professional Indemnity Insurance?

Comment

Unfortunately not

Comment

you say you have received a claim, is this a County Court claim or are you just referring to a letter of claim from the aggrieved client?

With regards to the claim, if you havent done the work and werent contracted to do it, then hes blowing in the wind, and if he has submitted a claim then you may want to apply to strike out certain parts of it.

It sounds to me you have done everything you need to do, and on the face of it you appear to have a good position to challenge the claim

I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X