• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

benefits and probate help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benefits and probate help

Hi i' m a newbie here so i hope the i stick to rules ok. My brother is on means tested benefits for disability. My parents have recently died intestate and the property divided between 4 equal parts. However my sister has never left property for 60 yrs living with my parents, she is still in it now. So now we have the situation of 4 names on probate, and no names on deeds. The house is not sold, my sister does not pay rent and cant afford to leave. Does this mean the benefit office with view my brother as having income because he has share of property albiet on paper, or does this only come about when his name is on deeds and we sell house. Sorry if bit long but very stressful time all round.
    Tags: None

Re: benefits and probate help

I believe the position is as follows:
    The beneficiaries only become owners of the property when the personal representatives distribute it.
    The PRs do not have beneficial ownership. They can only act in the interest of the estate.
    Your brother would not have ownership of the capital until it was distributed by the PRs.
    His means tested benefits (mentioned in an earlier thread) would therefore not be affected until he received his share of the estate.
    To ensure there was no doubt about the position perhaps he could renounce his PR status and allow the house to be sold by the remaining PRs, and let them deal with the distribution of the assets.

Comment

Re: benefits and probate help

Thank you so much Des8, i was not sure if i could ask you this post in the other probate section as it was benefit related, or i would have tagged it on my first post. You have put my mind at rest in this awful situation, many thanks for prompt reply too.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X