• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How can i obtain my late father's bank account statements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i obtain my late father's bank account statements

My father passed away 7 years ago and I need to get some information to prove to the DWP that they have made an error. Basically, I need to get copies of his bank statements and I wondered how long these would be kept on file? thanks
    Tags: None

Re: How can i obtain my late father's bank account statements

You won't be able to access them unless you are the Executor of his Will or the Administrator of the Estate.

The bank will only be required to keep data for 6 years, but they may be archived for much longer digitally.

Comment

I was the Power of Attorney and also the Executor of his Will. I am hoping to get information together to prove to the DWP that he did now owe as much as they claim in overpayments. I realise it will be quite difficult after all this time but there are vital bits of information that I need to prove this.

Comment

sorry meant to say did not owe

Comment

Your PoA will have no effect now, the authority that conferred ceased when your father died.

If you have the relevant details, account number and so on, you should be able to write to the bank and ask for the information, enclosing a certified copy of the Grant of Probate.

Most banks have a probate department who are well used to dealing with this type of thing, if you ring their customer services line, they should be able to put you in touch with that department.

Hope you get what you need.

Comment

Well, not a very good start to my mission . The Nationwide only hold information dating back 6 years - I am a year out!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X