• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension Credit and Severance Pay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension Credit and Severance Pay

Hi, hoping someone on here can gives us some info before my dad speaks to the Pension Service.
    my dad, 62, suffered a mild stroke in February of this year whereby he suffered problems with his vision and could not work. Whilst he was receiving ssp from his employer he managed to claim pension credit (from May this year) as he had little savings, and his only other income was about £30 a week from a pension he cashed in a few years ago. He had every intention of returning to work but his overall health has not improved and his employer is now letting him go. He will get 16 days holiday entitlement and 12 weeks pay as a severance package. This will be around £6500 after tax in a lump sum payment. He is worried that his PC will stop if he tells them and rather than having that £6500 as a safety net in savings (for home improvements etc) he will have to declare it and will lose his pension credit income. I know we need to inform the pension service of a change in circumstance but what is the likelihood of them saying it won't effect his PC claim?
    Tags: None

Re: Pension Credit and Severance Pay

For Pension Credit, there is no upper limit of capital for you to be eligible. This means there is no maximum level of capital you can have in order to claim the benefit. Capital up to £10,000, and any income generated by that capital, are ignored. You will be treated as having ‘assumed income’ of £1 for every £500 (or part of £500) of capital you have above £10,000. If you have a partner, you will be assessed as a couple and the first £10,000 of your joint capital will be ignored.

Comment

We were a bit worried as technically it's money relating to his employment (taxable) not a "thanks for your 22 years of service go have a holiday on us" type of payment. I will get him to ring the pension service

Comment

I understand from your post that your father suffers vision problems and possibly other health problems.
        If he hasn't already done so it might be worth his while to apply for Personal Independence Payment? These two sites might be worth a read:
        https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview
        http://www.turn2us.org.uk/informatio...e_payment.aspx

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X