• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

brothers new claim for job seekers benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brothers new claim for job seekers benefit

I went with my younger brother this morning as he was doing his first claim for job seekers benefit.
    first thing i would say is he is not a customers, but a claimant, he is not going to purchase a bag of spuds. They kept refering him as a customer in every sentance.

Also they stated he will have to sign an agreement with the job centre, it is not an agreement but a contract

THEY ALSO STATED THAT THEY EXPECT HIM TO TRAVEL UP TO 1 AND A HALF HOURS to find a place of employment.

Considering most employers only pay the minimum wage, what about transport costs and time tables. work it out, eight hours a day, 1.30 hours to work, 1.30 back, thats a total of 11 hours

Bang on the working time directive for breaks between working days

They also expect you to apply for a job up to 16 hours as a check out operator as an example, you May have 10 BA, DIPLOMAS , qualified brain surgeon, does not matter

And the worst is the new sanctions that have been brought in today, loss of benefit for either 13, 26 or 156 weeks if you leave a job or dismissed for misconduct, we all know a trumpt up misconduct charge is used as routine now to slim down a work force. Appeals can take forever with the DWP. THE ONLY ASSISTANCE IS A HARDSHIP PAYMENT. whatever that is

claims for job seekers take three to four weeks to become active.

may i ask what happens with council tax benefit, they stated a claim for job seekers and housing benefit were decided together, but she was very coy on council tax benefit. Does he have to apply to the council direct or will the employment service do that at the same time as job seekers and housing benefit.

we all know the council love their liability orders on missing payments

For an 18 year old this prob seemed routine, for me it was degrading, as though i would be begging and the goverment policy was to treat its customers, sorry claimants , as scum
    Tags: None

Re: brothers new claim for job seekers benefit

I agree the process is degrading

After I was widowed and the children had finished college and reached the grand old age of 19 the only way I could receive any income was to apply for JSA. My first ever signing on day was on my 58th birthday

I had been caring for my husband at home for many years and saved the country literally thousands in nursing home fees, yet I felt that at the initial interview I was treated like dirt

Comment

I think, but not 100% xure that CTB etc is calculated from the Monday following the date of making a JS application

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
        I think, but not 100% xure that CTB etc is calculated from the Monday following the date of making a JS application
        thanks

all i am trying to confirm is

is a seperate application needed for council tax benefit when applying for housing/job seekers

Comment

not as far as Im aware, believe it should form part and parcel of JS application

Comment

many thanks

Comment

just going on from this

when you sign on for job seekers allowance, you have to follow the contract you signed with the job centre on looking for work or they sanction your benefit.

my question is that the goverment give you the minimum amount to live on, if they take that away by a sanction, how are you suppose to live. no doubt the crisis loan will offer some support but you will have to pay that back.

i am thinking along the lines of the human rights act and the right to exist, etc

lets leave the morals out of this for the moment, lets just concentrate on the legal side

how can the goverment force someone into destitution through its policies in contravention of the right to life of exist

to live you need money
              Last edited by miliitant; 6th November 2012, 13:51:PM.

Comment

The government just don't care. Look at the new disability fiasco. Should Atos (and there is a large likelyhood) find you fit for work, they stop your benifits. There are countless who are then left penniless. But hey, if they kill off all the claiments that should save them a load of money.

Comment

Totally agree

but the question still needs an answer

is the goverment in contravention of the human rights act in denying you the minimum amount that the goverment states you neeed to live on each week

Comment

Originally posted by miliitant View Post
                    Totally agree

but the question still needs an answer

is the goverment in contravention of the human rights act in denying you the minimum amount that the goverment states you neeed to live on each week
                    In all probability, yes.
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I would have thought this was a breach of Article 8, right to family life and right to private life, using the principles of the Razgar case, which includes 'social functioning' and 'personal integrity' in interpreting the concept of 'private life'. The UK goivt has not been allowed to leave asylum seekers destitute, I can't see why it could or should be allowed to leave British citizens destitute.

There might also be an argument under Article 3 of the Human Rights, of risk to the claimants' lives eg if they couldn't afford any food

I think if this were challenged in Strasbourg the UK would lose.

The same I think would apply to the increasing prac tise of declaring those with health problems and disabilities which restrict thier employability as 'fit for work', expecting them to claim JSA if they need any benefits, then describing them as 'not fit enough' to do enough types of work to be classed as 'unemployed'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X