• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Housing Benefit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can only be awarded to a claimant for what is deemed a 'commercial rental agreement'. I cannot find out any explanation of what constitutes a commercial rental. In order not to fall fowl of the HB legislation and the wrath of the LA can I ask what you guys on this forum understand to be commercial. What evidence could I provide to persuade the LA in such cases.

Many thanks in anticipation.
    If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!
    Tags: None

Re: Housing Benefit

I would have thought having a rent book and a landlord would suffice, although saying that my sister in law bought a house, let her daughter and grandson (3 years old) rent it, and because mum and daughter had the same surname the LA said no to the housing benefit, after an 18 month fight they finally got the benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
      I would have thought having a rent book and a landlord would suffice, although saying that my sister in law bought a house, let her daughter and grandson (3 years old) rent it, and because mum and daughter had the same surname the LA said no to the housing benefit, after an 18 month fight they finally got the benefit.
      The property will be checked as 'fit for purpose' nowadays,,specially with the benefit changes next year.Gonna be some very upset LL's methinks and tenants who will have to make up the shortfall in rent.

Comment

The other matter is that landlords have ripped-off the Housing Benefit fund in the past. In one case, a cartel of around 15-20 private-sector landlords ripped-off a local authority to the tune of £2 million. When the deception was discovered, they were given the choice of "Pay it back or face a court appearance." Most of them paid the money back.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

i would think a tenancy agreement would answer this question

Comment

no a tenancy greement will not do as you cannot le to your children . You have to convince the HB people that you really are charging rent and will evict the person concered if if there is no rent is paid.

Comment

Thats exactly right, my SIL bought the house as an investment for the future, her daughter decided she liked it and wanted to move in as a tenant, but because of being the same name they hit all kinds of obstacles, motto of the story.... don't let your kids rent a house off of you.

Comment

My father and sister had a similar issue which was solved by them using a letting agent to draw up the tenancy and collect the rent.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X