• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dementia and Disability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dementia and Disability

What is the law on elderly and mentally disabled people in the community? Some individuals living near to a relative of mine have dementia and learning disabilities, and are causing problems. One drives a car erratically. Their family know about their dementia, but they are still driving. Another has caused damage to two gardens. Others have caused upset because they do not understand some of the neighbours problems because of their limited mental capacity and say things which are not true. For example, saying one couple had sold their house because they were getting divorced. They were not divorcing and their house had been taken off of the market. One of the neighbours voiced their concerns to the local Police, but they did not want to know, so we hope an accident doesn't occur. From what I can find out, some people are still alllowed to drive if they do have dementia. Views and opinions welcome, please.
    Tags: None

My Wife has dementia, I stopped her driving instantly and notified the DVLA. Licence revoked. in your case call the DVLA, also notify the local Police, and most important speak to the Officer in charge.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, De Dogs. The Police do not want to know. They didn't even ask for details of the person who was driving with dementia, even though we know where they live and possibly, their name. As you say, probably DVLA is the way to go. Someone suggested asking local doctor's surgeries if they were aware of these people. I know confidentiality might make that difficult for them to discuss, but I wondered if they would contact Social Services about them?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X