• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWP - 90 year old great grandmother and family require your help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP - 90 year old great grandmother and family require your help please

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice please, I'm asking on behalf of my Grandmother and Father.

Overview:
    My 90 year old Grandmother who is a mother to 5 children, had an accident 10 years ago and as a result she became disabled.

About 6 years ago, my father who is also my Grandma's main helper in the family informed my Grandma that her savings had gone over the DWP threshold amount. This is the amount you are entitled to before your benefits are withdrawn etc.

An agreement was made between them that involved my father transferring monies from my Grandma's bank account to an account that he has set up in his name on her behalf (secret account), he would then over a period of time withdrawn monies from Grandma's account to this secret account.

Over a period of 5 years my Grandma instructed him to remove monies from this secret account and share it equally between himself and 2 other siblings who are all very close to my Grandma. This was about 25k between them in total.

Sometime last year, my Auntie who is not a close sibling and was not gifted any monies, came across 8 years worth of bank statements belonging to my Grandma, she made copies of these before accusing my Father of stealing from my Grandma, she also shared this info with my other auntie who is also a distant sibling and did not receive any monies from my Grandma.

With my Grandma's blessing, my father told my distant Aunties that he hadn't been stealing but the monies was gifted to him and 2 other siblings, he also told them the amount that was gifted and gave them full transparency in writing.

Now my two Aunties have threatened to report my Grandma, Father and 2 other siblings to the DWP etc. They are not looking for financial gain, it is out of spite.

My Grandma has recently moved into care home, and is in poor heath and has also started with dementia. Since the disclosure of the gifted monies, she is unaware of any continuing family squabbles and we intend to keep it that way.

I would like to know what laws were broken and what the consequences could be for hiding some of my Grandma's monies from the DWP please.

Thank you,
    Tags: None

Hi DINOMAN

What you need to do is contact a solicitors who specialize in benefit situations, these things can be managed. There are benefit thresholds which have been crossed because of the savings, there are certain mitigating circumstances which the solicitors can put across, but there might be penalties and interest to be payed back with the overpayments.

Comment

Thank you echat11 for taking the time to advise on this matter, very much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X