• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander PPI claim refused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander PPI claim refused

Hi - great forum and has been a great comfort.

My wife was missold PPI on her HoF card back in 2002. She's so organised she still has the original application form with the ppi section crossed out.

Unbelieveably Santander have refused the claim based on that they called her six months later and she agreed to take it out. Given she was in full time employment and in no need of the insurance this is a little hard to believe.

Now my understanding is thus:

- The whole misselling issue was based on companies either providing misleading info or just not telling people about it. So Santander are effectively using questionable source to reject the claim.

- Our next step from Santander's pov is the FLA. Can I not go to the Financial Ombudsman? - this might pre-date their effective date?

- Although the Santander letter says this is their final decision I'm ignoring that as we want to know what this call 6 months after the application form says. I'm guessing they don't have a transcript so I'm going to use that as a basis for a letter to the CEO

- In addition my wife has substantial savings with them and I think she's been pretty shabbily treated here. This will be mentioned and this sort of treatment will result in her accounts going elsewhere.

I've noted some posts to do with an insurer called Genworth. Are they worth pursuing? Looks like recently they are in Santander's pocket.

Thanks for reading.
    Tags: None

Re: Santander PPI claim refused

I think that if they simply have a customer note on the account from 2002 then that is sufficient for them to indicate a call being made. Furthermore, since it is more than 6 years after the fact then it is unreasonable of them to keep every phonecall ever recorded on a database.

However, I would have been personally inclined to attack the policy based on the benefits of your wife from her employment ie death in benefit services covers..death. Medical issues making her ineligible for the cover.(to be honest, I'd ask when they called her and at what time since clearly she might not have been home at the time ).
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      I think that if they simply have a customer note on the account from 2002 then that is sufficient for them to indicate a call being made. Furthermore, since it is more than 6 years after the fact then it is unreasonable of them to keep every phonecall ever recorded on a database.

However, I would have been personally inclined to attack the policy based on the benefits of your wife from her employment ie death in benefit services covers..death. Medical issues making her ineligible for the cover.(to be honest, I'd ask when they called her and at what time since clearly she might not have been home at the time ).
      Oh yes I wasn't expecting them to have a transcript - having working in a similar environment for many years there are limitations to call recording. However we have the hard evidence of the form being crossed out - they don't have anything close as compelling unless they are hiding something! Was merely making a point that they don't have any real evidence apart from the information that has already been called into question.

Interesting outlook with the benefits. She was certainly in ft employment since pre-2000 and her mortgage already had an insurance already on it - she is sure she probably wanted to take out this (young and first mortgage to cover her back just in case) so would have had no need to get another policy.

Comment

Have received pip back from a good few banks but Santander say store person in debenhams not trained to sell ppi so I signed for it. Cop out if you ask me.

Originally posted by Trampilot View Post
        Hi - great forum and has been a great comfort.

My wife was missold PPI on her HoF card back in 2002. She's so organised she still has the original application form with the ppi section crossed out.

Unbelieveably Santander have refused the claim based on that they called her six months later and she agreed to take it out. Given she was in full time employment and in no need of the insurance this is a little hard to believe.

Now my understanding is thus:H

- The whole misselling issue was based on companies either providing misleading info or just not telling people about it. So Santander are effectively using questionable source to reject the claim.

- Our next step from Santander's pov is the FLA. Can I not go to the Financial Ombudsman? - this might pre-date their effective date?

- Although the Santander letter says this is their final decision I'm ignoring that as we want to know what this call 6 months after the application form says. I'm guessing they don't have a transcript so I'm going to use that as a basis for a letter to the CEO

- In addition my wife has substantial savings with them and I think she's been pretty shabbily treated here. This will be mentioned and this sort of treatment will result in her accounts going elsewhere.

I've noted some posts to do with an insurer called Genworth. Are they worth pursuing? Looks like recently they are in Santander's pocket.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X