• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays PPI offer and PPI spreadsheet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays PPI offer and PPI spreadsheet.

Hello!
    A year ago I went direct to Barclays to claim back miss sold PPI on my Barclaycard and MasterCard.
    The PPI I paid was for a period of 8 years in the 90's, a long time ago, however I had scanned copies for half and original statements for the remaining that I printed off/photocopied before posting to Barclays. Barclays replied that they did not accept my claim.
    Consequently I printed off and photocopied the whole lot again, and sent the same claim questionnaire to the ombudsman. Which they ruled in my favour.
    Now I have received a letter from Barclays saying as they have no records going back that far, they are offering me £500, but, if I have records of my statements they will review the payment inline with the ombudsman quidelines, payments refunded, interest paid on the payments, 8% simple interest over the period etc.
    So now, even though they have had all copies originally, it looks like I have to print/copy the whole lot again for the third time!
    My question is, should I just send the whole lot again and let them work out the settlement figure, or should I also send them a printed copy of the excellent PPI spreadsheet from this site to 'help them' with the settlement figure?
    Because of the claim being in the 90's, the interest adds up, in round figures the settlement figure should be £5,000 not the £500 because they have no records themselves.
    It took me hours entering all the figures into the spreadsheet, I assume they will have something similar but I am thinking if I send the LegalBeagles one filled in, they will know that I know what they should be offering me to the ombudsman quidelines!
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Edit: just checked my Barclaycard statement on-line, even though I have just received the letter today, they have credited my Barclaycard with the £500 offer. This should not stop me replying to the letter with all my copied statements though?
    Last edited by mjheathcote; 28th June 2013, 21:42:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Barclays PPI offer and PPI spreadsheet.

Hi Mike - it sounds like you made a thorough job of the calculations, and I'm pleased that you found the LB spreadsheet useful. It looks to me as though you have provided BOTH the FOS and Barclaycard with the evidence they need, but neither of them is making the effort that you yourself made with the spreadsheet. I suspect the problem is that neither of them has these figures on their computer, so the only way that they can deal with them is to actually manually enter the data into a spreadsheet as you have done - and they will not want to do this because it is so time-consuming, as you know.

So, they have each tried kicking the ball to each other, with the FOS upholding your claim in principle, but failing to specify any specific monetary value because of the effort needed. So, they have told Barclays to pay up, and to make you an offer - which Barclays have now done. But - you also provided Barclays with the statement copies - and they, too, have not been prepared to enter the data into their own spreadsheet, and have hoped that you will accept their measly £500 offer and 'take the money and run.'

If you are satisfied that your figures are correct, then I agree that now is the time to send them the spready. Personally, I would send Barclays a copy of the spready, and make it clear that this is a summary of the figures that you have ALREADY sent them copies of. If they disagree, then they must clearly explain why, and provide you with a copy of THEIR OWN calculations. You might also care to remind them that you provide them with these statements FREE OF CHARGE, when they would have charged you £10 for the very same service under the Data Protection Act. Also - remind them that the FOS also have a set of these statement copies - and that you are quite happy to provide the FOS with a copy of your spreadsheet if Barclays choose to dispute your calculations.

That's my suggestion, Mike.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, very helpfull.
      The fact that they have immediately credited my Barclaycard with the £500 'offer' makes no difference I hope? (I edited my post with this information just before your reply so you may not have seen it)
      Also crediting my account is okay, but I have no borrowing on the card! Can you in such instance cash withdraw for free, if the account is in credit?
      Thanks,
      Mike.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that, Mike. This is often the way they work. Personally, I would tell them that you are not currently using the card, and that you require the FULL redress paid to you directly (ie., by cheque or direct bank credit).

Comment

Taking your points on board, I can happily write a suitable letter.
          As both Barclays and FOS have both received full copies of statements previously as you say the work involved to calculate the payment on a credit card PPI is time consuming, I know, doing it myself, 8 years, 2 cards, 12 statements a year, 192 lines of info to enter!
          I don't think Barclays can dispute the figures, with me having statements, especially with FOS having a set too to make the decision in my favour.
          Thanks again,
          Cheers,
          Mike

Comment

Just an update.
            Recent all my copy statements and the spreadsheets, now waiting for a reply...
            Phoned them to ensure they received my response, which they have, so waiting game again!
            How long though, been 4 weeks...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X