• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

The bit that really rankles with me is that the banks are now doing the 'while we get over our dissapointment, we will work out what our next steps will be'. Surely they must have at some point thought what do we do if we win or lose, and what do we do if we lose big? So there must be a plan of action, that dictates what the next steps will be. Just unfortunate timing I think that RBS's £7 m dollar man gets the go ahead from the government, but it does feel like they should do the decent thing and accept the judgement and move on, and some senior figures from the BBA and the FSA ought to be having that very conversation. Having now read the judgment twice it just does not feel like there is anything for them to appeal beyond some silly semantics; the judge is basically saying on all counts this was a pointless request for review in as much as the BBA actually stated that it would really not make much difference if they were succesful and that many of their arguments were contradictory.

I still think the FSA needs to show some grit here as they have been flagrantly ignored by the banks over recent times, and they either have to show that their view is enough is enough or indeed just a quiet chat with the BBA and get them to give everyone a great Easter and issue a press release of acceptance of the judgment as dragging it out just looks silly.

Comment

I note that the arrogance of Ms Angela Knight from the BBA was conspicuous by her abscence (or should that be abcess) from the television news last night!!

regards
      Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by stevesouth33 View Post
        The bit that really rankles with me is that the banks are now doing the 'while we get over our dissapointment, we will work out what our next steps will be'. Surely they must have at some point thought what do we do if we win or lose, and what do we do if we lose big? So there must be a plan of action, that dictates what the next steps will be. Just unfortunate timing I think that RBS's £7 m dollar man gets the go ahead from the government, but it does feel like they should do the decent thing and accept the judgement and move on, and some senior figures from the BBA and the FSA ought to be having that very conversation. Having now read the judgment twice it just does not feel like there is anything for them to appeal beyond some silly semantics; the judge is basically saying on all counts this was a pointless request for review in as much as the BBA actually stated that it would really not make much difference if they were succesful and that many of their arguments were contradictory.

I still think the FSA needs to show some grit here as they have been flagrantly ignored by the banks over recent times, and they either have to show that their view is enough is enough or indeed just a quiet chat with the BBA and get them to give everyone a great Easter and issue a press release of acceptance of the judgment as dragging it out just looks silly.
        Plan A - stuff all the ill-gotten gains into suitcases & b*gger off abroad lol
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Garlok View Post
          I note that the arrogance of Ms Angela Knight from the BBA was conspicuous by her abscence (or should that be abcess) from the television news last night!!

regards
          Garlok
          Noted!

Comment

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...g-2270687.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-2270649.html

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nsurance-banks

Comment

given the fact that both sides had a draft copy of the decision in advance so the BBA knew the outcome, why do they still need to consider whether to appeal. Its likely they have already had over a week to review their options, given the strength of the judgement this doesnt appear to be a grey area, IMO any appeal would be about creating more delays rather than thinking they could actually win and even if they did the FSA would just go down the s.404 route, therefore its cut and dry, you either appeal to cause more disruption or you dont and get on with the job at hand, that seems to be a pretty much instant decision.

Comment

http://www.bitterwallet.com/uk-banks...comment-141530

Why not leave a comment lol?
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi all, I am new to this forum and I have been reading the threads as a guest over a period of time but I have a question so decided to join.

Firstly, I would like to thank all who have posted on here as I have enjoyed reading your comments and has made me aware of this issue so much more!
                    I claimed last year on PPI on 2 credit cards I have held for 20 years using a claims company. I was in the Royal Marines when I took these cards out and was told by the bank that I have to take the policy out, which I obviously did as I wanted the credit (I was a gullable 19 yr old at the time!). The bank only recently (2 months ago) stopped the PPI, I think cos the claim against them was in?? Anyway, when I left the RM I worked self employed for a bit then went to University. After I graduated, in 2003, I took out a graduate loan with HSBC for 12k and paid PPI on this too. I tried to include this in my claim with the claims company but they emailed back quoting
                    "...Unless you have the loan agreement for your HSBC graduate loan we are unable to take this claim further as it was 2003 and a subject access request does not go back more than 6 years."
                    Is this right? I dont have the paperwork for this loan as I settled it so threw it away! I wish I kept it now but hindsight is a wonderful thing!
                    Could I claim on this with reference to yesterdays JR hearing?
                    Thanks for reading
                    Rob

Comment

EuRob,
                      I had a very similar one and the 6 year rule is one of two rules, the second rule is another three years which is designed to protect people who may not have known that they had been mis-sold during the 6 years. I have a very similar situation with a claim being adjudicated by the FOS and they were very clear with HSBC that they still had jurisdiction on something from 2003, it took a while for the business to accept it but they did finally do so. I did not have any paperwork either but that did not make any difference to the FOS who have to make a decision based on all the evidence, regardless of how much or little there is, but they do take into account the context of the business approach at the time. Not sure if all of this is relavant to you but hope it helps.
                      Steve

Comment

The last question is No you cannot claim with reference to yesterdays JR since you should be claiming with reference to why the PPI was missold.

With regards to the appeal that will happen and will be granted, the banks had the judgement last week so that any corrections could be made(this has been discussed already on this thread). They have until 10th May to file papers to appeal the decision, we all expect they will and the FOS/FSA will have a further 7 days to respond to that appeal and then we may be into a hearing.
                        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by EuRob View Post
                          Hi all, I am new to this forum and I have been reading the threads as a guest over a period of time but I have a question so decided to join.

Firstly, I would like to thank all who have posted on here as I have enjoyed reading your comments and has made me aware of this issue so much more!
                          I claimed last year on PPI on 2 credit cards I have held for 20 years using a claims company. I was in the Royal Marines when I took these cards out and was told by the bank that I have to take the policy out, which I obviously did as I wanted the credit (I was a gullable 19 yr old at the time!). The bank only recently (2 months ago) stopped the PPI, I think cos the claim against them was in?? Anyway, when I left the RM I worked self employed for a bit then went to University. After I graduated, in 2003, I took out a graduate loan with HSBC for 12k and paid PPI on this too. I tried to include this in my claim with the claims company but they emailed back quoting
                          "...Unless you have the loan agreement for your HSBC graduate loan we are unable to take this claim further as it was 2003 and a subject access request does not go back more than 6 years."
                          Is this right? I dont have the paperwork for this loan as I settled it so threw it away! I wish I kept it now but hindsight is a wonderful thing!
                          Could I claim on this with reference to yesterdays JR hearing?
                          Thanks for reading
                          Rob
                          Two issues here, firstly the cards, as you were in royal marines theres a decent chance you spent time on overseas postings, its likely the ppi terms state have to be a permenant uk resident so prob wouldnt have paid out, also as in forces you get paid if injured/sick therefore insurance was redundant. On this basis you have a very strong claim and I would expect your CMC to win this for you once the JR issue is out of the way.

Secondly, you do not necessarily require a copy of the agreement to make a claim. If you are sure you had ppi then is worth lodging a letter of complaint asking for a refund of all premiums + interest, just make sure you quote the loan account number. If you dont know this then check your bank statements, next to the direct debit transactions will be the reference number. Alternatively if you dont still have bank statments try going into your local branch of the bank and ask them to check the number for you. Dont tell them what its for, just say youve mislaid the paperwork and need it, they will still be able to see the loan on their internal system and if you kick up enough fuss then they will give you what you need.

Its prob worth starting a new thread for any further assistance as I'm sure theres a few people on here who would be more than happy to help you run a claim for the loan yourself.

Comment

The last question is No you cannot claim with reference to yesterdays JR since you should be claiming with reference to why the PPI was missold. LeClerc

I think I was mis-sold the PPI with the graduate loan as I became self employed when I graduated in 2003. I was just going to accept this but in light of what I have read on here and the JR yesterday I was wondering if I should indeed pursue this? That is what I meant

Comment

There's a lot of coverage about PPI at the moment, it's amazing how much money banks and other financial institutions take from us illegally. I read a stat that an estimated 70% of PPI policies are missold, but only 4% of policyholders make a claim. Shocking.
                              Last edited by Amethyst; 21st April 2011, 15:18:PM. Reason: removed link to CMC - subtle lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paul210 View Post
                                Two issues here, firstly the cards, as you were in royal marines theres a decent chance you spent time on overseas postings, its likely the ppi terms state have to be a permenant uk resident so prob wouldnt have paid out, also as in forces you get paid if injured/sick therefore insurance was redundant. On this basis you have a very strong claim and I would expect your CMC to win this for you once the JR issue is out of the way.

Secondly, you do not necessarily require a copy of the agreement to make a claim. If you are sure you had ppi then is worth lodging a letter of complaint asking for a refund of all premiums + interest, just make sure you quote the loan account number. If you dont know this then check your bank statements, next to the direct debit transactions will be the reference number. Alternatively if you dont still have bank statments try going into your local branch of the bank and ask them to check the number for you. Dont tell them what its for, just say youve mislaid the paperwork and need it, they will still be able to see the loan on their internal system and if you kick up enough fuss then they will give you what you need.

Its prob worth starting a new thread for any further assistance as I'm sure theres a few people on here who would be more than happy to help you run a claim for the loan yourself.
                                Do you really need a CMC? - Loads of info about them on the forum, & I'm sure you'll get plenty of good, free, advice here.
                                & hi!
                                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X