• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Fastracked?

Comment

Originally posted by NLP View Post
      Fastracked?
      The time aspect is irrelevant.

What matters, is us the consumer/FSA/FOS winning. Thats what really matters.

If they (BBA) win on ICOB disclosure aspect, not sure where complaints will go, as it means all ICOB is covered by mailing regardless of anything else.

This is what the main issue is, not time.

We have to win.

Simple.

Comment

class act
        can you clarify what you mean re mailing
        thanks

Comment

wouid a reason for being missold be that you already had insurance i,ve had 2 critical illness policies and 2 income replacement policies going before my stroke the critical illness insurance covered me for death so did i need the ppi? sorry to break into thread

Comment

Originally posted by anaellie View Post
            class act
            can you clarify what you mean re mailing
            thanks
            Under ICOB, all really the banks had to do was mail or send information to the consumer in a "durable medium".

The FSA knowing that millions of people had potentially been mis sold, have tried to address this by using the principles to paint over the lack of rules that ICOB allowed them (the banks) to get away with.

This is also the reason why ICOBS was brought in (i suspect), as ICOB were essentially not tough enough. ie the rules were in place but offered little or no protection to the consumer.

Comment

this is for di

Banking Report: - Yahoo! News UK

Comment

Originally posted by cappo View Post

Cheers Cappo

Comment

the judicial review guys,if the banks lose the review, will fos say also reopen old cases that they rejected because of rules that were in use at the time going back say pre fsa but gisc or abi forgive me all of you for being a stroke head but that is what the jr is all about isn,t it.

Comment

Originally posted by cappo View Post
                    the judicial review guys,if the banks lose the review, will fos say also reopen old cases that they rejected because of rules that were in use at the time going back say pre fsa but gisc or abi forgive me all of you for being a stroke head but that is what the jr is all about isn,t it.
                    the Jr centres around the FSA policy statement of last year and their use of principles in addition to ICOBS, whilst it would set precedent for the use of principles in addition to basic rules I'm not sure FOS would be able to use this in cases which predate the FSA. Also, FOS have been using the principles basis for some time now (hence they are named in JR as well) and stil managed to reject the cases you mention so not sure how much this position would change, if at all.

Comment

Cant believe its still dragging on this long... Still no news from the court then guys and gals..?

Comment

Nothing yet I don't think unfortunately.

However, wasn't it in the pipeline around Easter time?

Saying that even on a decision already made it will be some time before we know, and we know what's possibly likely to happen then, there will be appeals from the losing side which again will probably take some time.

The banks are loving it I expect lol.

Will keep an open mind me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by mosten View Post
                          Cant believe its still dragging on this long... Still no news from the court then guys and gals..?
                          Mosten,

unfortunately we all need to be patient on this

Have to accept that this is not the only case the judge is dealing with, but now it also comes down to when the BBA and FSA/FOS legal team are available to hear the judgment

Before easter has been mentioned as possible, but even if it took until June, we'd be way ahead of the bank charges case time wise

Comment

Nothing listed yet I'm afraid.

I'm away for a couple of weeks so won't be able to speak to the court but if anyone fancies it the number is 020 7947 6655 and press 1 for listings. The case number is 10619/2010.

Failing that keep an eye on the daily cause list which is updated early afternoons for the next day Administrative Court and Divisional Courts sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice

My own view is that the judge should take as long as he thinks fit in order to reach the right decision. A lot of what is as stake is how much discretion the FSA should be afforded in dealing with what is an unprecedented mis-selling scandal and the case could turn on a matter of judgment as much as the letter of the law.

ICOB and ICOBS alone were not designed to prevent errant behavior on such an industrial scale and so the longer Justice Ousley looks at the issue the better.

Comment

Maybe Ousley is struggling to decide on what the current law considers to be the right outcome?

Surely 'justice' would mean that the average man on the street (i.e. those that need loans/credit) are not allowed to be bullied (in some cases) and misled into handing over hard earned money simply to add extra money to the excessive profits made by banks (pre credit-crunch and post-bailout)?

Is it fair and equitable for someone in debt to pay thousands more in interest and insurance premiums (especially when the premium is not reflective of actaul risk, but instead highly inflated by huge inherent secrect commissions paid to the distributors by the insurers)?

Personally, I am amazed by some of the county court cases that ruled secret commissions and high PPI premiums and interest payments were lawful - either the lawyers didn't argue the case well, or the wrong point of law was argued.

Serious questions must be asked if Banks get away with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Danlaw View Post
                                Maybe Ousley is struggling to decide on what the current law considers to be the right outcome?

Surely 'justice' would mean that the average man on the street (i.e. those that need loans/credit) are not allowed to be bullied (in some cases) and misled into handing over hard earned money simply to add extra money to the excessive profits made by banks (pre credit-crunch and post-bailout)?

Is it fair and equitable for someone in debt to pay thousands more in interest and insurance premiums (especially when the premium is not reflective of actaul risk, but instead highly inflated by huge inherent secrect commissions paid to the distributors by the insurers)?

Personally, I am amazed by some of the county court cases that ruled secret commissions and high PPI premiums and interest payments were lawful - either the lawyers didn't argue the case well, or the wrong point of law was argued.

Serious questions must be asked if Banks get away with this.

i,ve now heard from the fos who have tried to justify that capital 1 don,t have to justify the fact that they recieved a secret commission for selling my ppi i couid,nt believe it so it goes on with the fos as well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X