• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI Loan Claim Rejected By Barclays - Doesn't Exist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI Loan Claim Rejected By Barclays - Doesn't Exist

Hi, I have been told I can't have been mis-sold PPI by Barclays because they can't find a loan account in my name! That I have had four (at least) with them since 1989 and have been a current account holder with them for almost 40 years makes me livid that I am just not turning up on their radar...

I have the paperwork, sent it to them, but they now ignore me and say the case is closed. Sent in an SAR but not received anything, 40 days not quite up though. Escalated to FOS but have heard nothing, not even acknowledged. Am I here? Is this the Twilight Zone?!!!

I could scan the Barclayloan Protection Scheme paperwork from 1989 if I was actually here, but I'm afraid nobody would be interested. I sense the PPI thing is being 'shutdown' now the deadlline has well and truly passed. What can I do? Any advice gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Did Barclays treat this as a complaint? If so, they should have sent you a Final Response which then provides the escalation route to FOS. Have you genuine reasons for a complaint? Just having it is not a valid reason for a refund.
    Barclays will probably not have any paperwork now as they are required to delete or destroy outside of their own retention periods under Data Protection regulations.
    So, basically...did you complain or was it an enquiry before the deadline and did Barclays confirm at any point if it was being dealt with as a complaint?

Comment

Oh well, I have been unlucky then! Yes, complaint before the deadline; yes I worked for a firm a Permanent Health Insurance firm that, as you would expect, gave all their employees long term ill-health cover so I didn't need it; yes, they acknowledged it as a PPI complaint and, as I was at pains to point out, I've been with them almost 40 years, and they seem to not acknowledge me having any loans - "we have been unable to find a loan account in your name to match the information you have provided".

Now, you'd think they would track all the other loans and have them 'on my file' and mention those too, but persona non grata it seems. 1989 or 1994 or 2003, it makes little sense that so-called big banks can't keep records. In the record industry royalty-based evidence can be obtained back to the 60s if you look hard enough - I advised composers and authors on lost income, so I know.

They even said "our investigation has included checking our records using information such as your name, address and date of birth"!. I sent the complaint back with copies of my paperwork on 2nd December and like I said, not a peep. FOS at the same time as it was final ("your complaint will be closed"), more copies, not a peep.

Is it just you and me who have an opinion on this Monsal? I appreciate your input but I was expecting more opinions in what seems, as I've said before, to be a case of 'PPI is old news, no longer of interest, it is being shutdown'. Most bizarre given I have not only given evidence but (you may recall) also had numerous credit card complaints that also just got batted back as 'no PPI'.

What you seem to be denying, and I accept you've a background in this, is a pattern of the banks dodging these final complaints - in their hundreds of thousands or not - because they believe they are over the worst. If they can ignore direct evidence, 'closed' as they take it, when evidence is clear, then it is even easier for the default position of 'no PPI' letters when people are making genuine claims on cards without paperwork!

The number of cases on LeagleBeagles I have read which show refusals of a similar nature in the past ended up with a successful claim shows this has always been their attitude. Banks caused this misery by offering poorly sold products to people who didn't need, nor understand them, for all sorts of reasons. Why else is it billions have supposedly been paid out?!

As I say, this shutdown attitude seems clear in my responses. I ask again, how are others finding they have got on with last minute claims? Seemingly in the millions too! Sorry for the rant, but there is nothing worse than feeling invisible, as I originally posted - aside from you Monsal!

Comment

I can only speak from my own personal experience of working for a small mutual organisation. We have never offered loans or credit cards and so have never offered PPI. We did sell Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance designed to protect peoples home and credit rating. You can still buy this today and it was definitely not a bad product. We did however get it wrong on occasions and there have been just a few cases where we have acknowledged this and compensated.

Working in the Mutual sector I know how much work has gone into dealing with these complaints and how much continues to take place. I will never try and justify mis-selling in any shape or form as it should never happen. My personal opinion is that the process has suffered at some of the larger organisations due to the unprecedented volumes received in August last year and this has impacted on the quality of responses in some cases.These all take a huge amount of time to deal with and from a personal point of view again, a huge percentage of the "complaints" received never had MPPI attached to the mortgage. I know of at least one firm who received regular complaints who never sold MPPI in the first place.

So I am denying nothing but there are always two sides to every story. Data Protection clearly states that Personal Data should not be held for any longer than is neccessary. We keep Mortgage Records for 12 years after an account is closed. Its in our retention policy and all firms will have their own. We could be fined by the ICO for having records longer than required.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X