• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI "Goodwill" Payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI "Goodwill" Payment

Hi. I'd really appreciate some advice please. I've had a look but I can't see any threads that might help me with my question.

In 2008 I bought a car from a certain well known company. I was sold PPI at the time, told that should I ever become ill or unable to pay this policy would cover my payments. I had been ill the previous year and, naturally scared that this should recur, I took out the policy. I wasn't told that it would not cover 'existing conditions', and, being young and naive, I didn't think to ask. Had I known that it wouldn't have covered a pre-existing condition I'd never have taken out the policy.

Anyway, in late 2009 I became ill again and had to stop working. I tried to claim on my policy to cover my car payments and I was turned down as it was classed as a 'pre-existing condition'. My claim attempt was made over the phone. At no point did they ask me for my medical information or permission to contact my doctor.

Fast forward to 6 weeks ago, I put the case to them that the PPI was mis-sold. I also said that I believed my attempted claim was mis-handled. I gave them all the relevant medical information from the time as the "proof" that they requested.

I got a letter this week saying we "While we have considered your complaint and do not believe that your Payment Protection policy was mis-sold we will, as a goodwill measure, provide you with a full refund of this policy."

To be honest, I was pleased to get the refund cheque. However, it has been suggested to me that I could be entitled to more. I was wondering if someone neutral could provide me with advice please - I'm clueless! I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing by accepting this cheque.

Thank you!
    Tags: None

Have you accepted the offer? Have you banked the cheque?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
      Have you accepted the offer? Have you banked the cheque?
      No. Not yet.

Comment

Ok why do you think you may be entitled to more? Also did the refund include any interest?

Comment

I still think that it was mis-sold - no-one ever told me about the 'pre-existing conditions' exclusions but how can I prove that? I really struggled to pay my car payments when I became ill again. I'd truly believed that this policy would cover those payments.I guess I thought they might agree it was mis-sold and I'd get those payments back? But I'm sure that's just wishful thinking. I'm so pleased to get anything after all this time, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing if I take the refund.
          Yes, there's interest at 8%/annum. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Refunds made on a goodwill basis without admitting it was mis-sold are quite normal. You wouldn't have got anymore had they admitted it was mis-sold.

As you got the 8% interest I'd take the money and run!

Comment

Fantastic. Thank you SO much for your help - I really appreciate it! I'll get it in the bank ASAP!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X