• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaimed PPI - Can I use for full and final payment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaimed PPI - Can I use for full and final payment?

Hi,

My bank is sending me £1600approx on a PPI reclaim against a Credit Card. I was hoping to use this to offer full and final payment against the debt of £3300, which is on the same CC and that I am in a DMP with. How likely is this to be accepted?

I am also in more debt with others banks so would it be deemed treating other this creditor with preference and so not a good thing to do (or should I offer less of the £1600 toward this debt and so I can offer the other creditors a % too)?

I guess a more general question would be does anyone know the likely % of total debt that banks/CC's/loans take when offered full and final payments of accounts in DMP's?

Thank you for your help.

D
    Tags: None

Re: Reclaimed PPI - Can I use for full and final payment?

It is highly unlikely the bank will actually send you the money. 99.9% of the time they will use the ppi reclaim to offset the balance owing.

In terms of working out F&F's, there is a formula for doing so. I've attached this for you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by labman; 22nd May 2013, 13:00:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      It is highly unlikely the bank will actually send you the money. 99.9% of the time they will use the ppi reclaim to offset the balance owing.

In terms of working out F&F's, there is a formula for doing so. I've attached this for you.
      Thanks Labman,

That's what I thought, but the woman phoned me and asked if I wanted to use it to pay the balance or if I wanted it to be sent to me so I opted for the latter. It looks like the account is active so I need to send them another letter reminding them I'm in a DMP with them.

Either way looking at your formula you have to offer equal to all and not pay off the debts you think will accept?

Thanks again
      D

Comment

Just as an update, they did send me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by d1ngle View Post
          Just as an update, they did send me the money!!
          Well done! :whoo:

Comment

Excellent news :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: are you going o share this with all your creditors?

Comment

What I would be inclined to do is first of all receive the PPI, then start a negotiation with them about a full and final. Personally, I previously settled at 10%,although it took some persistence, as they will always reject first. It's like a dancing game. Keep offering over and over again, without making any interim payments. It may take some weeks or months. Give them a hard luck story, you know, massive debts, unemployment, business failure, mother died, family member has cancer, I feel suicidal over my debt and will end it all tomorrow, etc. Lay it on thick. Beat them down. And they will eventually agree a figure. Try offering 5% as a goodwill gesture first, despite your "hardship" and then when they refuse, reiterate your hardship. Make it sound like things are getting worse and you may not be able to pay them at all. Eventually agree a full and final. Keep the rest of the PPI refund and enjoy it! Please look over my threads elsewhere on this site and see how I wrote off my debts. I now live the enviable life of being totally debt free. You can have the same. Good luck. Please let me know if you have any questions.
              Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X