• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cameron tackles CMCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron tackles CMCs

David Cameron pledges to curb compensation culture - Telegraph

David Cameron pledges to curb compensation culture

He made the comments in the foreword to a review into health and safety procedures carried out by the former Conservative minister Lord Young.

The Prime Minster said he hoped that the report would prove to be a "turning point" with an end to unnecessary bureaucracy faced by firms as well as "senseless" rules and regulations.

Mr Cameron said the Government would curtail the promotional activities of claims and management companies he said had helped fuel the compensation culture. "We're going to focus regulations where they are most needed, with a new system that is proportionate, not bureaucratic, that treats adults like adults, and reinstates some common sense and trust," he said. Business groups welcomed the review, but the TUC complained that the report did not contain a single proposal which will reduce the high levels of workplace death, injuries and illness.

Lord Young said that despite the success of the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act, the standing of health and safety in the eyes of the public had never been lower. There was a "growing fear" among business owners of having to pay out for even the most unreasonable claims, said Lord Young. He said: "Press articles recounting stories where health and safety rules have been applied in the most absurd manner, or disproportionate compensation claims have been awarded for trivial reasons, are a daily feature of our newspapers. "Businesses now operate their health and safety policies in a climate of fear. The advent of 'no win, no fee' claims and the all-pervasive advertising by claims management companies have significantly added to the belief that there is a nationwide compensation culture. "The 'no win, no fee' system gives rise to the perception that there is no financial risk to starting litigation. Indeed, some individuals are given financial enticements to make claims by claims management companies who are in turn paid ever-increasing fees by solicitors. "Ultimately, all these costs are met by insurance companies who then increase premiums."

Lord Young said the system for claiming compensation was a growing industry and urged that the incentives for claiming compensation had to change. He recommended that a scheme recently introduced for road traffic accidents be extended to cover straightforward personal injury claims, which he said would deliver a "simple, cheaper and quicker resolution" of claims. He also proposed tighter regulation of advertising by claim management companies. The Government said it had accepted all the recommendations in the report, Common Sense, Common Safety, with the aim of improving the perception of health and safety, ensuring it was taken seriously by employers and the general public, while making the burden on small business as "insignificant" as possible.

As well as the restrictions on advertising for no win, no fee compensation claims, Lord Young called for a "revolution" in the way personal injury claims were handled. Lord Young said: "For too long, health and safety has been allowed to become a joke in the media and among the public. It's about time it was taken seriously. "I believe that the best way to do this is to ease the burden in places where health and safety is not an issue, and to discourage the compensation culture that has spread fear of litigation throughout our society. "I believe my recommendations will be an important step towards restoring civil liberties, shredding red tape and making sure that health and safety rules are properly applied and respected. "I am grateful to the Prime Minister for asking me to undertake this important work, and I am pleased that he has accepted all of my suggestions."

Work and Pensions Minister Chris Grayling welcomed the report and said: "Lord Young's review restores common sense to health and safety regulation and sets clear limits to what organisations and individuals need to do to manage risk. "By reducing unnecessary red tape, we can encourage businesses to come and invest in the UK, creating jobs and opportunities when we need them most." Justice Minister Jonathan Djanogly said the department was already looking at ways to change the way "no win no fee" claims are handled. He said: "The Government welcomes Lord Young's call for reform of the way in which personal injury claims and other civil cases are taken before the courts. We will be consulting shortly on how 'no win, no fee' conditional fee agreements should be improved."
    Tags: None

Re: Cameron tackles CMCs

They all 'talk the talk' but not many are able to 'walk the walk'

We will be consulting shortly on how 'no win, no fee' conditional fee agreements should be improved."

Read more at: Cameron tackles CMCs - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
    Best not to hold our breath then!

Comment

"We're going to focus regulations where they are most needed, with a new system that is proportionate, not bureaucratic, that treats adults like adults, and reinstates some common sense and trust,"

Read more at: Cameron tackles CMCs - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
      Doubtful, even that sentence comes over to me as patronising.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
        Doubtful, even that sentence comes over to me as patronising.
        you are spot on

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X