• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this a breach of gdpa?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a breach of gdpa?

in 2021 Lowell chased me for a debt that wasnt mine. It was eventually discontinued. While chasing me for the debt, they collected my contact details. Now they are using the same contact details to chase me for another debt that isnt mine. As I understood it, my contact details can only be used for the purpose they were collected for, which was to chase me for the first debt. As that was discontinued, they had no need to keep my contact details. Are they now breaching gdpa by keeping my details and using them again?
    Tags: None

anyone?

Comment

Hi

First, the correct terminology and reference to legislation is the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) not GDPA. We now refer to the GDPR as the UK GDPR since Brexit.

Second, I am not certain that Lowell are in breach of the UK GDPR, presumably on the basis that the contact details were obtained for the purposes of pursuing you for a particular debt. Personal data can be reused for other purposes provided that it is compatible with the same purpose as originally intended. Given that the original purpose was to pursue you for an outstanding debt and the second opportunity is for the same reason, I think they are within their rights to do that.

If they used your contact details to send you marketing communications then I don't think that would fly because the two purposes are completely different and unconnected.

The only way they would be in breach is if they were contractually or statutory bound to use that set of contact information for the original purpose only and that they had to delete that information once no longer used or that they were prohibited from using that information to pursue other debts. Nothing suggests that is the case here.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X