• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MIL/BankSmart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIL/BankSmart

Hi
    At some point last year I asked Bank Smart to have a look at whether I was entitled to PPI. I filled in the appropriate paperwork, returned it and then forgot all about it. Until about 3 weeks ago when I received an overdue payment letter from MIL Collections for £199.40. They were acting on behalf of Bank Smart.
    I rang MIL and asked what it was all about and was told it was charges for cancelling my contract with Bank Smart and did I want to pay? At no point had Bank Smart contacted me to chase up this amount and I had certainly not been sent an Invoice. I sent a formal letter of complaint to Bank Smart and followed it up with the same letter via email. (I thought PPI was on a no win, no fee basis?) I contacted MIL Collections to inform them of my Formal Letter of Complaint to Bank Smart. Again, not interested in what I was saying.
    An email from Bank Smart confirmed receipt of my Formal Complaint advising if I wanted to change it from being a Formal Complaint they could respond within 5 days, but with a Formal Complaint they would respond but it would take a number of weeks of investigation. I opted for the latter.
    I received another letter from MIL Collections chasing the £199.40. It began by saying that I had ignored their initial letter. I rang, advised them I had not ignored them but was immediately asked if I was ringing to settle the debt. He was rude and openly admitted that he was there purely to take payments and that I would continue to receive letters until I paid.
    I’m interested to hear your advice on the above events. Can I get away with not paying this fee? Can MIL Collections continue to harrass me for this amount or am I best to just settle up? Are Bank Smart likely to come back and say that I was treated unfairly and cancel the charge? If I paid MIL Collections now would I get the money back off Bank Smart? You have much experience of these 2 companies so am wondering what advice you can give me on this situation?
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Did you ever receive a final response from Bank Smart to your complaint? If you did you have/had 6 months from the date of the final response to take it to the Claims Management Ombudsman. However if you didn't receive a final response the Ombudsman may accept your complaint at any time.

Comment

Hi. Bank Smart informed me that a formal complaint could take up to 8 weeks for them to answer. (So that makes it another 6 weeks, as i received their reply a couple of weeks ago). In the meantime MIL Collections are pressing for the money and have told me that they have referred it to their Recovery Team, and that i will continue to receive demand letters until i have paid it.

Comment

They only offer the 5 day response if you withdraw the formal complaint so it doesn't have to be declared to the regulator and you can't take it to the Ombudsman. I've seen lots of those offers, don't fall for it.

When the 8 weeks is up go to the Ombudsman. Don't worry about MIL, they don't do anything beyond sending snotty letters.

[Thread moved to Claims Management forum]

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
          They only offer the 5 day response if you withdraw the formal complaint so it doesn't have to be declared to the regulator and you can't take it to the Ombudsman. I've seen lots of those offers, don't fall for it.

When the 8 weeks is up go to the Ombudsman. Don't worry about MIL, they don't do anything beyond sending snotty letters.

[Thread moved to Claims Management forum]
          Many thanks for the response and positive advice. I'll wait another 6 weeks and contact the Ombudsman. And in the meantime i'll not ponder on MIL.
          Again, many thanks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X