• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pensions and Benefits Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pensions and Benefits Confusion

I don't know if this is the right place to air this, so I apologise. My wife and I are becoming increasingly confused and frankly terrified by our forthcoming situation. We are a Mixed Age Couple, I am 66 this year, my wife is 64. Currently, she claims ESA and I am attached to her claim. We both get PIP, I claim Carers Allowance for her. We get council tax and housing benefits from our local authority (Cornwall). On 31st August I have to move to State Pension and hence relinquish my entitlement to ESA. We have asked a local Money Advice Centre for advice and support, and they have told us their version of what will happen, what we will get and what we will have to do. However, this does not tally with advice we've received from other sources including the DWP. The latter was, in fact, no help. I am wholly confused as to what will or won't happen and what we do or don't have to do. I know I have to claim the State Pension (I am yet to do so but will do so). But what happens to the rest of our benefits? So we have to claim again, or claim other things, or what? We rent privately and our landlord will not only want to wait for any monies that get delayed in September and he'll also expect a rent increase. Can anyone advise please?
    Tags: None

Good evening

Originally posted by gboswell View Post
    Currently, she claims ESA and I am attached to her claim.
    The legislation changed in May 2019 and it can be a bit confusing for people.

When someone is part of a Mixed Age couple, the claim for housing benefit does not necessarily change with a claim for State Pension. It depends on who is receiving the Legacy benefit and whether the legacy benefit ends..

On your housing benefit claim you will have ESA IR plus SC (your wife's claim) which is running your housing benefit claim, plus PIP x 2 claims, plus CA. The only change that would be seen from a benefits perspective is that an additional income (your state pension) would be added to the benefits claim.

The fact that you are about to claim State pension, does not necessarily mean that the housing benefit claim must end. This is because your wife's ESA IR would not end. Your carer's allowance on the other hand would end because this is a working age benefit and you cannot claim this when you are a pensioner. The DWP may award you with underlying entitlement to Carer's allowance because you were claiming this benefit prior to pension credit age, but are no longer entitled due to pension being claimed.

With regards your wife's base amount of ESA may increase because the DWP will add a pensioner premium into the claim and possibly the Severe Disability Premium as well (as long as no-one else claims Carer's allowance for either of you). They may then deduct the amount of your state pension from the claim. If you are in any doubt, please contact the DWP and ask, they are there to help

Good luck and remember, if you have any queries, contact the DWP because they will explain what is about to happen and how it will affect you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X