• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on small pension pot, please...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on small pension pot, please...

Hello folks,

I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice regarding a small pension pot that I have, please.

Just some quick background... I currently work part-time on a low income (£15k) and also have a monthly pension of £73 net. This is a Civil Service pension which I cashed in when I was 55 (needed the extra at the time). My tax code is 1275L. I have some savings, but under £10k (it's basically emergency money, but I haven't needed to touch it in recent years - and also haven't added to it). I opted out of SERPS in 1994 and have a small pension pot with the Prudential, which is currently worth £15k. I'm 63 now and qualify for my state pension in 2026. I'm a council tenant, live within my means and currently claim no benefits. I also do not pay into any kind of employment pension scheme. I don't need a high income to live, clearly, and am happy enough on the money I receive.

I can't think that that £15k pension pot (which I can draw at 65) will yield much in terms of a monthly pension. I know the options I have on it - that I can draw up to 25% as a tax-free sum if I so wished, but any figure above that would be taxable at the usual rate. I've been thinking about cashing it all in and buying a camper-van to use when I do actually retire. There's not really any other way that I'd be able to afford one otherwise. So if I took that option, the first £3,750 would be tax-free, and I'd then pay 20% tax on the remainder - leaving me with £9k net from that.

My question is... if I take that option, is it likely to affect my taxation for the year in any way? As I see it, it would amount to my total income for the year still being below the threshold for the next tax band. In total, it would be under £28k net income. As it's a pension though, would HMRC regard it as a 'monthly pension payment' and assess it over the year in that regard - putting the total income assessment as well over £100k? I know that may sound like a daft question - the pension money would already have been taxed, after all - but I know that HMRC can work in mysterious ways with these things, and I don't want to find that they've adjusted my tax code accordingly for a higher income bracket.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Hi, agree HMRC can work in mysterious ways sometimes but I also find that recently when I have needed to sort out tax issues they have been quite helpful so a call to them may give you an answer as to how they would treat it. You may just need to be be prepared to have a bit of a wait to get through to a person.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by ULA View Post
      Hi, agree HMRC can work in mysterious ways sometimes but I also find that recently when I have needed to sort out tax issues they have been quite helpful so a call to them may give you an answer as to how they would treat it. You may just need to be be prepared to have a bit of a wait to get through to a person.
      Thanks, Ula. I have done that - but have received the customary 'We are not able to advise you on this, and you need to seek independent financial advice' reply!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X