• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Where are Lloyds TSB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are Lloyds TSB?

Hullo, hope someone can advise.

I live in Jersey and have had my request for Lloyds to repay nigh on £1k in unfair bank charges rejected, despite my family suffering demonstrable financial hardship.

Lloyds appear to take great delight in repeatedly reminding me that neither the OFT nor the FSA have any jurisdiction in Jersey (ergo, they are more than happy to see me complain to those august offices).

The thing is, the issuing address that Lloyds have used on each and every one of my bank statements, over the years and on which I maintain they levied those unfair charges, is on the Isle of Man - not Jersey (although their Jersey offices are stated as the home address when it comes to their rejecting of my appeals).

As a Jersey resident, but with a bank that historically communicated with me from a non-Jersey address, can I take them to task in the UK courts (or IOM courts) or must I pursue them through the Dickensian Jersey legal system?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Last edited by Harry Potless; 28th September 2010, 11:45:AM. Reason: typos

Re: Where are Lloyds TSB?

Originally posted by Harry Potless View Post
    Hullo, hope someone can advise.

I live in Jersey and have had my request for Lloyds to repay nigh on £1k in unfair bank charges rejected, despite my family suffering demonstrable financial hardship.
    Are you aware that the bank does not have to pay even 1p of any claim under financial hardship to have complied with the FOS?

Lloyds appear to take great delight in repeatedly reminding me that neither the OFT nor the FSA have any jurisdiction in Jersey (ergo, they are more than happy to see me complain to those august offices).
    I have to say that I don't know who regulates in Jersey on Banking dispute because I did think it was the Jersey Financial Services Commission, however when you read the link below it appears that they don't.
    http://www.jerseyfsc.org/pdf/Complai...2009.10.26.pdf
    The thing is, the issuing address that Lloyds have used on each and every one of my bank statements, over the years and on which I maintain they levied those unfair charges, is on the Isle of Man - not Jersey (although their Jersey offices are stated as the home address when it comes to their rejecting of my appeals).

As a Jersey resident, but with a bank that historically communicated with me from a non-Jersey address, can I take them to task in the UK courts (or IOM courts) or must I pursue them through the Dickensian Jersey legal system?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    I guess the first part is to detail what you have done and what evidence you have given to LTSB, then we'll work on who regulates what, if that makes sense.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks leclerc (did you know that "Le Clerc" is a quite common Jersey-French surname?).

Have never seen that document before. Seems to be true, then, that no-one actually has any power over Jersey's banks and financial services providers other than that they might receive a reprimand if they act in a manner that brings the local, cash-cow, Financial Services Industry into disrepute.

Yes, you are right in that the "Jersey Financial Services Comission" is Jersey's poor relation to the wonderful :whistle:FSA that exists on the mainland.

For individual, non-commercial, complainants there appears to be no power under law that offers protection.

Thanks again for replying.

Comment

cough cough, there was one question beforehand and you would be closer than I am as to the jurisdiction of Isle of Man. If it is the FOS then a phone call to them is worth doing to clarify the situation

Comment

Cava mon ami,

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
          cough cough, there was one question beforehand and you would be closer than I am as to the jurisdiction of Isle of Man. Please forgive my obtuseness, but, I'm confsed by the phrase "you [i] would be closer.....etc". If it is the FOS then a phone call to them is worth doing to clarify the situation
          Thanks again for the reply but what is the FOS?
          Last edited by Harry Potless; 28th September 2010, 21:29:PM. Reason: Forgot greeting

Comment

Financial Ombudsman Service

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

PF
            If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Ignore the you are closer bit. Worth calling the FOS(they deal with banking disputes, which this would be to clarify).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X