• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can council demand my salary details?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can council demand my salary details?

Hubby has small debt from previous property which he acknowledges and will repay however the council want my salary details. This is from before we were together so not my debt - is this correct? TIA
    Tags: None

Re: Can council demand my salary details?

Don't see why you should give them that information as debts in your partner's name remain solely his responsibility.
    Others might know differently.

Comment

Thanks thats what we both think but the form is quite specific asking who he lives with and then for my salary. Very odd!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Don't see why you should give them that information as debts in your partner's name remain solely his responsibility.
        Others might know differently.
        I&E details are requested under the premise that a household income e.g. 1 partner earning more may have sufficient resources to enable them to assist contribute to the payment of the debt.
        Personally unless there is a joint account I would tell them that there's no reason to supply your I&E statement as you had no CT liability at his previous property it's not your problem.

nem

Comment

Thanks Nem I'm not happy to provide my info for exactly that reason. The debt will be paid but as you say I was not liable so we'll see what they say!

Comment

If this is council tax, your husband could be sent to prison... Now that isn't likely, but councils are faster to send round bailiffs or get an attachment of earnings than any other creditor.

If he is making a reasonable offer for repayment so the debt will be cleared soon, that isn't going to happen. But if his offer is very low, then I think the two of you need to have a joint discussion about how to resolve this. Whether or not you legally have to tell the council what you earn isn't really the point - solving this priority debt is as it can affect both of you, not just your husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
              If this is council tax, your husband could be sent to prison... Now that isn't likely, but councils are faster to send round bailiffs or get an attachment of earnings than any other creditor.

If he is making a reasonable offer for repayment so the debt will be cleared soon, that isn't going to happen. But if his offer is very low, then I think the two of you need to have a joint discussion about how to resolve this. Whether or not you legally have to tell the council what you earn isn't really the point - solving this priority debt is as it can affect both of you, not just your husband.
              It's not the OP's debt, never had any liability for the address involved.

Comment

Indeed. But if your partner had bailiffs coming round or has a large amount automatically taken from their salary or gets sent to prison, it does tend to impact you!

I'm just saying that it isn't always the best way forward to insist that the debt is nothing to do with you just because legally it isn't. I'm not suggesting the poster has to give their income details, I'm suggesting that the couple need a serious discussion about what the offer to pay off this debt should be, because it needs to be cleared in a reasonable length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jorainbow View Post
                  Thanks Nem I'm not happy to provide my info for exactly that reason. The debt will be paid but as you say I was not liable so we'll see what they say!
                  You cannot be held liable for CT when you have never lived at your partners previous address.
                  You have never been a " liable person" for that address make a written statement of that sign and send to the manger of the CT department of the council.

What amount are they after?

nem

Comment

Flipping heck!!!! We'll be paying it off at a more than adequate amount to get rid of it as it's a small amount. We've already discussed that and have enough disposable income. He left the area and didn't realise he owed anything more. My post was not about the debt but about whether I had to disclose my income as it's not my debt. Of course we'll both pay it!

Thanks Nem - a couple of hundred

Comment

Originally posted by jorainbow View Post
                      Flipping heck!!!! We'll be paying it off at a more than adequate amount to get rid of it as it's a small amount. We've already discussed that and have enough disposable income. He left the area and didn't realise he owed anything more. My post was not about the debt but about whether I had to disclose my income as it's not my debt. Of course we'll both pay it!

Thanks Nem - a couple of hundred
                      No you don't have to disclose anything you were as said never a " liable person " at that address, ignore the request for I&E and pay it off I don't think there's any more to say, sometimes people will tend to over complicate a simple situation.

Best wishes for the future.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Called made by hubby, perfectly lovely lady on the other end, payment schedule agreed and no mention of needing my details.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X