• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jbw bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jbw bailiffs

I need advice basically i had a bailiff come to my door last week i owe brighton council tax 300 pound from 2010. He was very rude didnt help me and my 4 children were all unwell we had a sick bug so i wasnt really thinking straight! Anyway he demanded money there and then i said i didnt have it its now 590 pound because of there fees i said i could 300 pound by this week but he said i will give you till the 18th april for the whole amount. He then went. I simply cant afford it i can pay 300 monday and next month when i get my tax credits i can pay the other 290. When i suggested that he said no he said borrow it can someone lend it i said i will have no rent money no food money kust didnt care i really dont no what to do.
    Tags: None

Re: Jbw bailiffs

Originally posted by Gbaker79 View Post
    I need advice basically i had a bailiff come to my door last week i owe brighton council tax 300 pound from 2010. He was very rude didnt help me and my 4 children were all unwell we had a sick bug so i wasnt really thinking straight! Anyway he demanded money there and then i said i didnt have it its now 590 pound because of there fees i said i could 300 pound by this week but he said i will give you till the 18th april for the whole amount. He then went. I simply cant afford it i can pay 300 monday and next month when i get my tax credits i can pay the other 290. When i suggested that he said no he said borrow it can someone lend it i said i will have no rent money no food money kust didnt care i really dont no what to do.
    Hi Gbaker79 & welcome to LB

Here is some info from Money Advice Trust.

Have a read, & if you have any questions (esp re vunerable households), give us a shout on this thread.

http://www.moneyadvicetrust.org/Site...ement%20V7.pdf
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Have you had any other letters/notifications before this happened? Was the Bailiff from Brighton Council or a private company?

Whatever you do don't let him in your home. If you have a car then that may be at risk of being seized or taken - if so park it on a neighbours drive or in a private car park. You could also put it in your garage providing you can lock the door. Whatever he may say he has no automatic right of entry to your home.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        Have you had any other letters/notifications before this happened? Was the Bailiff from Brighton Council or a private company?

Whatever you do don't let him in your home. If you have a car then that may be at risk of being seized or taken - if so park it on a neighbours drive or in a private car park. You could also put it in your garage providing you can lock the door. Whatever he may say he has no automatic right of entry to your home.
        They are appointed from brighton council but private i think. JBW he wants me to ring him with full payent on the 18th i have found a goverment websit that may help im ringing tom they can stop bailiffs coming round and put account on hold for 21 days to set up plan i wouldnt mind but i have 300 now its the 290 i want to pay in 3 weeks. Were see

Comment

Originally posted by Gbaker79 View Post
          They are appointed from brighton council but private i think. JBW he wants me to ring him with full payent on the 18th i have found a goverment websit that may help im ringing tom they can stop bailiffs coming round and put account on hold for 21 days to set up plan i wouldnt mind but i have 300 now its the 290 i want to pay in 3 weeks. Were see
          Teach me to read things properly in future - never saw the reference to JBW in the title. If you are ringing someone then all I can say to that is not to pay for any information - have to be honest & say I' don't know of any Gov website that does what you say.

Comment

Teach me to read things properly in future - never saw the reference to JBW in the title. If you are ringing someone then all I can say to that is not to pay for any information - have to be honest & say I' don't know of any Gov website that does what you say.
            There called counciltax advisors free of charge non profit organization and they can phone bailiff as they have to buy law listen to a third party then they will ring council and see if a payment plan can be sorted. Its worth a shot

Comment

Ok - they are not a Gov website but one operated from a base in Cornwall. They did use to charge but were hauled over the coals for some of their practices. Hear they now are pretty good at what they do but just be wary all the same & hope they can help you. If necessary we are still here - good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Ok - they are not a Gov website but one operated from a base in Cornwall. They did use to charge but were hauled over the coals for some of their practices. Hear they now are pretty good at what they do but just be wary all the same & hope they can help you. If necessary we are still here - good luck and let us know how you get on.
                Ok well i rang jbw and they told me to ring chris the bailiff which i did he took 300 pound today and said i could pay the rest on the 23rd he did say something about there might be a fee which is automatically added if agreement is broken?? But he said leave it with him.

Comment

There are only standard fees payable these days. They will already have added the Compliance Fee -£75 for Notice of Enforcement & Enforcement Fee - £235 for visiting. Seeing as the only agreement you have is a verbal one - a promise to pay at a later date + you need to remind him there is no such thing as an extra fee to pay. It could be he is referring to a Sale Fee of £110 + disbursements but there again he does not have a Controlled Goods Agreement. The chances are he is just saying to heap the pressure on.

Comment

There are only standard fees payable these days. They will already have added the Compliance Fee -£75 for Notice of Enforcement & Enforcement Fee - £235 for visiting. Seeing as the only agreement you have is a verbal one - a promise to pay at a later date + you need to remind him there is no such thing as an extra fee to pay. It could be he is referring to a Sale Fee of £110 + disbursements but there again he does not have a Controlled Goods Agreement. The chances are he is just saying to heap the pressure on.
                    I thought that to be honest we have no signed agreement he just said it wasnt him that would impose the fee ut would be the company when i asked how much he didnt no think it was bull but in the end i said i do not have any more money until 23rd he eventually excepted it

Comment

To be honest I believe you to be in the driving seat here. Basically he knows he can do nothing & hopes you will cough voluntarily.

Comment

To be honest I believe you to be in the driving seat here. Basically he knows he can do nothing & hopes you will cough voluntarily.
                        So basically on the 23rd ill ring up and say i only have 290 and hopefully that will be the end of it

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X