• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ court help required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ court help required

I have a ccj judgement in progress from a parking fine now owned and pursued by MIL collections.
    I first had contact in december 15, about a fine from a vehicle i sold in aug 14. The fine was january 2015. I knew it wasn't myself as i no longer owned the vehicle so told them this but apparantly it was up to me to prove this. I stupidly ignored them. Next step i receive the court letter last month. I acknowleged it was a 'serious letter but along with soliciters letters i'm currently trying to complete for a house purchase along with working away from home during this last month i have had to try to juggle this and complete to deadlines etc.
    I completed the court form after 10days to acknowledge it and show i wanted to defend myself against the fine (£175), however i only posted 4 days later. As far as i was aware from the court letter i had 14 days to acknowledge i owed the money or 28 days if i was to defend myself.
    I also contacted dvla at the same time to request proof of sale via their sensitive casework department which they said could take 2-4 weeks to process and send back info. I received this 7/4/16 confirming my sale date and to which new owner. I then received my court letter back stating i was late returning my acknowledgement. The ccj has been served and i need to pay in 30 days.
    I intended on contacting court when they are open to question the situation on time limits, but i presume i misunderstood And all responses had to be back before 14 days.
    I do not intend paying this as i have proof in my possesion i did not own the car but is my only option to pay £255 to get it set aside? If i pay before 30 days would i still have a ccj?
    If i pay to set aside can i claim back the £255 plus other possible costs if i proove my innocence in any way?
    I have found a lot of info from searching online but not about these last questions.

Thanks for any assistance in advance
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ court help required

Hi Steveg85 & welcome to LB

Your explanation is a bit light on detail.

To begin with:

1) What is the issue date on the face of the court claim?
    2) On what date did you acknowledge service & how?
    3) If land mail, did you get proof of posting for 2) above?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: CCJ court help required

Hi thanks for your response, they posted it on march 6th which meant my time to respond began 10th march. I posted it i think 24th and they acknowledged receipt on 26th. I'm presuming by returning it as 'late' it needed to be there by the 24th? The way i read it was to acknowledge i needed to pay was 14 days but to defend i had 28 days. I sent back the defence section to explain i intended to defend and required more time as i had sent a letter to dvla and could be 2-4 weeks according to the customer service rep on the phone. I didn't get proof of posting but they have stamped my service/defence reply 'received 26th march' with a cover letter saying too late and now have 30 days to pay £175. I can afford to pay but it's the principle that i now have proof in my hand, but if it will cost £255 to set aside etc or pay £175 and have no ccj? Or would i still have the ccj if i pay up? I rand MIL Collections to explain i had proof and new owners details in my possesionif they could drop the case and i could forward on the correct information to them but they didn't want to know...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X