• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales bailiffs for council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales bailiffs for council tax

Hi just a little advice please as I'm worried sick I had a knock on the door on Monday afternoon when I answered there was a man saying he was looking for me from rossendales I said yes struggling to settle my 8 week old baby so I could listen to what he wanted he asked for £608 for unpaid council tax I said i have a baby and 4 other children I don't have that kind of money so he said ok and handed me a notice for 48 hrs the letter says they'll attend my property again on the 6/4/16 that's tomorrow to remove goods from my property even in my absence it also says to avoid the above action phone immediatly with the number hand written so I settled the baby and phoned the number and asked if I could sort out a payment plan to avoid the action and they said no unless I pay in full they will remove my goods I'm worried sick can they force their way in ? I'm on maternity but because I'm only bank staff as a senior healthcare assistant I had to get maternity pay from benefits I have really struggled the last few months with Christmas and having a baby I don't know what to do
    Tags: None

Re: Rossendales bailiffs for council tax

Originally posted by Esmae View Post
    Hi just a little advice please as I'm worried sick I had a knock on the door on Monday afternoon when I answered there was a man saying he was looking for me from rossendales I said yes struggling to settle my 8 week old baby so I could listen to what he wanted he asked for £608 for unpaid council tax I said i have a baby and 4 other children I don't have that kind of money so he said ok and handed me a notice for 48 hrs the letter says they'll attend my property again on the 6/4/16 that's tomorrow to remove goods from my property even in my absence it also says to avoid the above action phone immediatly with the number hand written so I settled the baby and phoned the number and asked if I could sort out a payment plan to avoid the action and they said no unless I pay in full they will remove my goods I'm worried sick can they force their way in ? I'm on maternity but because I'm only bank staff as a senior healthcare assistant I had to get maternity pay from benefits I have really struggled the last few months with Christmas and having a baby I don't know what to do
    Hi Esmae & welcome to LB

https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judg...y-the-judgment

You may be able to stop the bailiff from visiting, by filling in the N245 application form.
    Say on the form how you’ll repay the money - eg weekly or monthly payments.
    If your offer is accepted, the warrant will be stopped as long as you keep up with the payments.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees

Or you can contact your local CAB, but you'd need to stress the urgency.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

That's great news thank you I hope it works xx

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        Hi Esmae & welcome to LB

https://www.gov.uk/county-court-judg...y-the-judgment

You may be able to stop the bailiff from visiting, by filling in the N245 application form.
        Say on the form how you’ll repay the money - eg weekly or monthly payments.
        If your offer is accepted, the warrant will be stopped as long as you keep up with the payments.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees

Or you can contact your local CAB, but you'd need to stress the urgency.
        Unfortunately in this instance you cannot do the above.

Some questions first.
        Did you have previous knowledge about this debt?
        What year are they saying it is from?
        Is the debt for your current address or a previous one?
        If a previous one then did you advise the Council you had moved?
        Have you had previous letters from the Council or Enforcement Co about this?
        Do you have a car sitting outside? If so is it on finance - HP?
        If not on finance then you must move it ASAP?
        Have you paid anything towards it?
        Have you checked to see what the original sum owing was - as confirmed by the Council?
        Has the Bailiff been inside your home?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
          Unfortunately in this instance you cannot do the above.

Some questions first.
          Did you have previous knowledge about this debt?
          What year are they saying it is from?
          Is the debt for your current address or a previous one?
          If a previous one then did you advise the Council you had moved?
          Have you had previous letters from the Council or Enforcement Co about this?
          Do you have a car sitting outside? If so is it on finance - HP?
          If not on finance then you must move it ASAP?
          Have you paid anything towards it?
          Have you checked to see what the original sum owing was - as confirmed by the Council?
          Has the Bailiff been inside your home?
          Is that because it's Council Tax LO, [MENTION=26498]ploddertom[/MENTION]?
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

You should already have had a Notice of Enforcement - charge £75 - about this from the Bailiffs. Now they have made a visit they will also have added the enfocement fee of £235 to what you owe. This means that to date the debt has risen by £310.

If he has not had access to your home then he cannot force entry. The reason they say removing goods in your absence is if you have anything of value outside they can take - car, caravan, good BBQ or good garden Furniture.

Providing you deny him access to your home he is pretty much powerless. He will make 3 or visits before he realises he is wasting his time & possibly then return the account back to the Council - could be 3 or 4 months time - and the Bailiff fees are then removed. The reason they will not entertain a payment plan is because they look at it that you have not engaged them prior to this.

Are you a single parent? With your youngest only being 8 weeks old then you should be considered as potentially vulnerable - what ages are the other children.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Is that because it's Council Tax LO, @ploddertom?
              It is.

Primarily Set Aside (N244) & Variation Orders (N245) are for CCJ's and the like. Unfortunately for Council Tax, PCNs issued by the Council or Court Fines it is a separate procedure altogether and usually a lot more awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                It is.

Primarily Set Aside (N244) & Variation Orders (N245) are for CCJ's and the like. Unfortunately for Council Tax, PCNs issued by the Council or Court Fines it is a separate procedure altogether and usually a lot more awkward.
                Apologies to @Esmae.

CT is Magistrates court, not county (or at least a kangaroo version, as very rarely does a magistrate take part in the proceedings - other than to rubber-stamp the order).

& they (the LA & magistrates) seem to have a weird system going - not like the usual debt claim situation.

Thank goodness @ploddertom was around to correct me!
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X