• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Application received, seems illogical and illegal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application received, seems illogical and illegal

Hi, I have a High Court case where I am the defendant. The Claimant has made an application to the court requesting a number of things, one of which is that I be banned from representing myself because I am dishonest and are frustrating the legal process. No evidence is included as to the accusations. Surely it cant be possible? Thanks, Abs
    Last edited by grixon_1984; 19th August 2015, 19:37:PM. Reason: typo
    Tags: None

Re: Application received, seems illogical and illegal

Hi Grixon/Abs & to LB,

Your question has intrigued me, as I thought that everyone had the right to represent him/herself and if the other side alleging dishonesty & "frustrating the legal process" were a bar...well....the courts would be pretty empty.

I'm sure someone will be along with the definitive answer. Meanwhile, you might enjoy this highly entertaining & informative commentary on the LIP from a lawyer's point of view (which I came across whilst googling for enlightenment) x

https://kerryunderwood.wordpress.com...nvolving-them/
    Last edited by MissFM; 19th August 2015, 20:50:PM. Reason: wrong judgment on "e"

Comment

IMO it is not possible and would contravene the Human Rights Act 1998 (Article 6)

Comment

Thanks, that's what I suspected.

I think the other side, also a LIP, is simply trying to bully.

Comment

Have you made any applications in the proceedings which have been dismissed?

As I understand it the court can use its case management powers in some circumstances to impose such a restriction.

Are there any children involved in the proceedings?

Comment

Hi,

I have never made an application in the claim. Only the claimant has ever made applications.

No children, its business dispute with me as an individual defendant.

Thanks.

Comment

Would agree that the court can do almost anything it wants!
              But wouldn't the court more likely use its powers to prevent "frustration of the legal process" by striking out inappropriate pleadings, or imposing other sanctions.
              To refuse someone the right to argue their case would surely leave the result open to appeal
              An accusation of dishonesty to support such an application is just hot air.
              Have you been given a date and time for hearing the application?

Comment

Hi, no date yet but I have a copy of the application sent to the court.

Whats crazy is that the application includes no evidence, witness statement or similar to support the single statement "Bar the defendant from representing himself because he is untrustworthy".

thanks.
                Last edited by grixon_1984; 20th August 2015, 09:40:AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I think the prospects of the Application being successful are negligent then?The Civil Restraint Order provisions only come into play when you have made two or more applications which have been dismissed as being "totally without merit", so they don't apply - it is arguable in any event whether they could be used to achieve this given that the main aim is to prevent a litigant from issuing further proceedings.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X