• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim - Serve by Email

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claim - Serve by Email

Hello,

I need to issue a claim through the small claims court for the recovery of monies owed (money paid to a graphic designer, who them promptly ceased all contact)

The issue I have is that they are a UK citizen resident in Spain. I believe I have found a recent address, however I cannot confirm if they are still there. They offer a house sitting service, so there will be no rental agreement linking them to the address. On this basis, is it possible to send the claim by e-mail, or even facebook?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
    Tags: None

Re: Small Claim - Serve by Email

Unlikely

Comment

Originally posted by MJN129 View Post
      Hello,

I need to issue a claim through the small claims court for the recovery of monies owed (money paid to a graphic designer, who them promptly ceased all contact)

The issue I have is that they are a UK citizen resident in Spain. I believe I have found a recent address, however I cannot confirm if they are still there. They offer a house sitting service, so there will be no rental agreement linking them to the address. On this basis, is it possible to send the claim by e-mail, or even facebook?

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
      You could have a claim issued to the " last known address" if they fail to respond apply for summary judgement then a European Enforcement Order.

nem

Comment

The issue I have is that they are a UK citizen resident in Spain. I believe I have found a recent address, however I cannot confirm if they are still there. They offer a house sitting service, so there will be no rental agreement linking them to the address.
        Have they been resident in Spain since you started dealing with them or did they previously live in the UK? To use MCOL the person you are suing must have an address in England or Wales. Under CPR 6.9(2), the claim form must be served to the defendant's usual or last known address.

If they used to live in the UK, the claim can be served at the address you had before they moved away and when they fail to respond, you can apply for default judgment.

On this basis, is it possible to send the claim by e-mail, or even facebook?
        No, you may want to look at Part 6 of the CPR with regards to service: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...les/part06#6.3

Comment

Hello Mark, did you have their bank details to make the payment?
          Sometimes you can ask a bank to pass on letters to customers, a letter
          before action could be sent in this way.

nem

Comment

Not sure that I would agree on obtaining judgement by default by serving on last known address, when you know he is out of the country.
            Firstly a CCJ cannot legally be obtained against a debtor who is not a UK resident
            Secondly if you get your judgement by default, and then go for enforcement have you considered the cost, especially if the defendant objects!

Perhaps you should consider using the European Small Claims Procedure https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_...laims-42-en.do

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Not sure that I would agree on obtaining judgement by default by serving on last known address, when you know he is out of the country.
              Firstly a CCJ cannot legally be obtained against a debtor who is not a UK resident
              This is a bit of a tricky one, which is why I asked whether he used to be a UK resident. If the graphic designer just stopped communicating with the OP as he says they did, then they'd have no way of knowing they were out of the country. It would appear that all the OP has to go on is something he's found on the internet to indicate that the defendant may be in Spain, rather than any certainty. Of course if the defendant was living in Spain from the start then there would be no argument for serving a claim to a 'last known address' in the UK. :mmph:

Comment

Abuse of process? If the claimant knows that the defendant has moved and maybe has no evidence the defendant actually resided at the address

Comment

Thank you for your comments so far. To clarify some points:

I have been dealing with the graphic designer for two years previously and was very happy with their work. I knew at this time that they lived abroad, and this was not an issue.

They left the UK in 2009 and have lived in 8 different properties since then. This is clear from the information on their website advertising their house sitting / maintenance service. Again, this is how I know they are still in Spain (plus I paid the money into her Spanish bank account). NEM - I have just seen your comment and will look into this.

I believe I have their latest address from information they mentioned on their website, along with images they posted and cross referencing with Google earth. Whether they are still there at this time I cannot be certain. I may send a package by DHL or similar to this address and see who signs for it.

I will look into the European Small Claims Procedure tomorrow.

Last edited by MJN129; 19th August 2015, 20:56:PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X