• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coyle White Devine -- chasing old Dubai debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyle White Devine -- chasing old Dubai debt

I'm seeking some advice regarding a letter I have received from Coyle White Devine regarding some old (2003) debt from Dubai.

This is the third time I have been chased for this debt since returning to the UK -- the last time being around 3 years ago.

On both previous occasions, based on various advice from forums, I simply ignored the threats (court, bankruptcy etc.) with the understanding that the debt would be unenforcible in the UK. Eventually the letters stopped, and I even received a letter stating that it had been decided not to take further action. Not a single letter was sent recorded delivery.

What, if anything, has changed in the last 3 years that would make this latest attempt any more successful? I see from other threads in these and other forums that CWD have had success in enforcing UAE debt, but if that's the case, why did the previous two DCAs simply give up?

I'd prefer not to engage with this company, but I am prepared to write to them to ask for supporting documentation if advised to do so. The letter states I have 21 days to contact them with plans to repay the debt.

What would CWDs next step likely be if I simply ignore it? Am I right in thinking it can't do anything involving courts without informing me first?

Some advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Coyle White Devine -- chasing old Dubai debt

Originally posted by dicketicker View Post
    I'm seeking some advice regarding a letter I have received from Coyle White Devine regarding some old (2003) debt from Dubai.

This is the third time I have been chased for this debt since returning to the UK -- the last time being around 3 years ago.

On both previous occasions, based on various advice from forums, I simply ignored the threats (court, bankruptcy etc.) with the understanding that the debt would be unenforcible in the UK. Eventually the letters stopped, and I even received a letter stating that it had been decided not to take further action. Not a single letter was sent recorded delivery.

What, if anything, has changed in the last 3 years that would make this latest attempt any more successful? I see from other threads in these and other forums that CWD have had success in enforcing UAE debt, but if that's the case, why did the previous two DCAs simply give up?

I'd prefer not to engage with this company, but I am prepared to write to them to ask for supporting documentation if advised to do so. The letter states I have 21 days to contact them with plans to repay the debt.

What would CWDs next step likely be if I simply ignore it? Am I right in thinking it can't do anything involving courts without informing me first?

Some advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    Hi and welcome aboard

It all depends on what you mean by "doing anything involving the courts". In theory they should send you a letter of claim before issuing a claim, in reality there's nothing stopping them from just issuing the claim. However, if a claim is issued you'll receive a claim form in the post and you'd have the opportunity to defend or settle the claim. That means they can't just go and get a CCJ without you having received a claim.

I believe a number of those UAE debts have been found enforceable in the UK. It would be good if a UK debt was enforceable against someone living in Dubai!

Comment

The extended limitations period in the Emirates 15 -20 years if I recall correctly means they collection activity can a will go on.
      Some Judgement made in the Emirates have been enforced in Europe I believe.

Much hangs upon the original creditors status in the EU/UK as well.

Reply in 21 days or what??
      nem

Comment

Hi.

Apologies for the delay -- I wasn't notified of any responses.

The 21 days deadline is probably a scare tactic designed to make people pay up, but the letter says they will either seek judgement though CCMCC or through bankruptcy.

I don't know if there has been a judgement made in the Emirates or not. I've not been given any documentation supporting the alleged debt.

I'm really after some advice on what my next step should be. Should I write back asking for documentation? If so, exactly what should I ask for?

I believe people in similar positions have been sent copies of credit agreements that claim non-exclusive UAE jurisdiction -- but I'm not sure how it could be proved that they were the terms that were originally signed.

Comment

Hi Difficult to confirm or deny the accuracy of anything that CWD puts forward which is why in my opinion make vague threats.

I would suggest a " prove it" letter e.g. what are you chasing and where's the proof of any judgement and proof that any such alleged debt exists.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X