• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defaulted account on credit file, advice needed please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaulted account on credit file, advice needed please.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

In August 07 my ex wife and I separated, by June 2009 we were divorced.

As part of the consent order my ex wife was made liable for a joint overdraft we had with Lloyds TSB of £5000. The exact wording on the consent order was "the Petitioner (EX WIFE) undertaking to the court to retain responsibility for the joint overdraft with Lloyd TSB ( account number xxxxxxxx), including the monthly repayments and bank charges, and to indemnify the respondent (ME) against all such liability."

Now fast forward to this week, I applied for vehicle finance and was refused, so I joined Experian to look at my credit file, overall my credit rating is very good apart from this overdraft which was passed to a company called Cabot Financial sometime in 2011 from what I can see. Now for the last 14 months they have been putting notes on my credit file saying I've defaulted on some sort of agreement with them.

My question is can I do anything about this, am I still liable for this debt? Also how can I default on an agreement with them if I've never made one or had any contact with them?

Any help would be great.

Regards
    Steve
    Tags: None

Re: Defaulted account on credit file, advice needed please.

Hi welcome to LB
    Cabot has bought the account/debt from the bank and can now pursue it.

Was the bank made aware of the consent order and agree that the joint and several liability
    was cancelled.
    The entries on the credit files will be the banks original entries and Cabot has added it's name and details
    when the debt was purchased.

nem

Comment

In all honesty I'm not sure whether the bank were made aware of consent order, maybe verbally as I did have talks with them over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbs2010 View Post
        In all honesty I'm not sure whether the bank were made aware of consent order, maybe verbally as I did have talks with them over the phone.
        That could be your problem if the bank was not officially / formally consulted about amending one of the fundamental parts of an agreement signed by both parties agreeing to be jointly and severally responsible for maintaining the account and have no record of such a consent order it will chase either party.

You can try contacting the bank directly.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

That could be your problem if the bank was not officially / formally consulted about amending one of the fundamental parts of an agreement signed by both parties agreeing to be jointly and severally responsible for maintaining the account and have no record of such a consent order it will chase either party.

You can try contacting the bank directly.

nem

Comment

Might try that, the other thing is the original account is still showing on my credit file as being in default with a zero balance owing, while the Cabot Financial account is shown separately, also in default, so it looks twice as bad on file.

Comment

Might try that, the other thing is the original account is still showing on my credit file as being in default with a zero balance owing, while the Cabot Financial account is shown separately, also in default, so it looks twice as bad on file.
            That is not correct, there should only be ONE default per account. You need to get at least that bit amended.

Comment

Thanks Flamingparrot, who would be the best people to speak to, the bank or Experian?

Comment

First place a notice of dispute on the CRA files, but you will need to check all 3 main agencies first.

Your complaint is with the bank as the agencies can only post the data supplied to them, when you
                contact the CRA's re the dispute/correction notice request they will check the data supplied by the bank.

Do not bother with the banks customer service department they wont have the authority to act, so you
                should check out a " name" such as the Director of Retail Banking or similar title.

Can you still contact the solicitor who drafted the consent order?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                  First place a notice of dispute on the CRA files, but you will need to check all 3 main agencies first.

Your complaint is with the bank as the agencies can only post the data supplied to them, when you
                  contact the CRA's re the dispute/correction notice request they will check the data supplied by the bank.

Do not bother with the banks customer service department they wont have the authority to act, so you
                  should check out a " name" such as the Director of Retail Banking or similar title.

Can you still contact the solicitor who drafted the consent order?

nem
                  I can still contact the solicitor.

I spoke to the Experian helpline, they have advised me to email their customer services a copy of the Consent Order and they are going to raise a dispute with Lloyds and Cabot. Hopefully this may achieve something.

Comment

I spoke to the Experian helpline, they have advised me to email their customer services a copy of the Consent Order and they are going to raise a dispute with Lloyds and Cabot. Hopefully this may achieve something.
                    May well be worth asking the solicitor to who the consent order was disclosed, if it wasn't made available to the bank formally or it was subject to a time limit that could be the problem.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

May well be worth asking the solicitor to who the consent order was disclosed, if it wasn't made available to the bank formally or it was subject to a time limit that could be the problem.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X