• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paid into wrong account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paid into wrong account

I actually think that kensh should wait for Santander's decision, then go to the FOS before considering court action
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks Tools and thanks to everyone else for their support and advice. I think I will see if Santander contact me tomorrow - if not I will chase them up - see what their response is and then get back to you guys for advice. Have to be honest at present I am not really sure what would be my best course of action would be as I have been advised to a) write to CEO - b) to contact Ombudsman- c) to utilise a NPO. I am also a little confused re DPA - in that Righty says it cannot be used to conceal criminal behaviour in which case cannot I simply demand Santander release me the details of the recipient?

Comment

A clearer action plan for you
        • Chase Santander (including the possibility of an email to their CEO)
        • If unhappy with their decision, submit a complaint to the FOS
        • If then still not resolved consider legal action

If it hasn't been resolved following FOS then we can then, and only then, consider ways forward
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Thanks again Tools - I will take your advice. Can I ask you - when I make contact with Santander - if I can make the point that they cannot hide behind the DPA ? Even to the extent that I tell them that they cannot use the DPA to conceal what is criminal behaviour. Last point - does the Payment Council and its code which Santander have bought into have any clout? Thanks

Comment

The Payments Council code is voluntary and only used as guidance.

As for mentioning DPA, it is not important at this stage, the only thing I would mention to them is your disappointment at their decision (if it's a no refund) and tell them you will be taking it up with the FOS with a view to starting proceedings depending on the FOS decision.

Comment

Brilliant thanks v much Tools - will be chasing Santander tomorrow !

Comment

Let us know how you get on

Comment

Hi.

Received phone call from Santander who said that they had written to the recipient of my wife's money and that there was nothing more they could do as they had received no response from recipient and that the case, as far as they were concerned, was closed. I referred to the following from Payment Council Code which they were aware of but which they are obviously not adhering to.
                  • If funds can't be recovered, customers will be given clear and accurate information on the options available to them, which includes taking court action against the recipient.

Got straight through to Financial Ombudsman (which was very impressive) and given a ref no. On my wife's behalf they will be contacting Santander asking for notification that they have closed our complaint case. Apparently Santander have up to 8 weeks to respond to this but once received FOS can issue a form for us to complete that allows them access to DPA information. I am writing to CEO of Sandander, Mr Nathan Bostock telling him that if his bank signs up to something (the Payment Code) then they have a professional responsibility to ensure that the code is complied with. I will also tell him that if a bank sets up a service - in this case on line banking - then it is their responsibility to take as much care with their customers money as possible and that is obviously not the case here!

Comment

Thanks for coming back and updating us, FOS can be very good at times I hope they resolve this for you

Comment

Hi Tools I wonder if you could help ? I am in the process of writing to Nathan Bostock CEO of Santander to complain about his bank's response to my wife's misdirected payment. From your link above I found the text in bold below but when reading the original Payments Council's Code of Best Practice www.paymentscouncil.org.uk/current_projects/misdirected_payments/ I could not find the relevant text from which to quote. So I wonder from where "Thismoney.co.uk took the quote - thanks
                      • If funds can't be recovered, customers will be given clear and accurate information on the options available to them, which includes taking court action against the recipient.

Comment

Whilst by all means, use a complaint to the FOS, but it seems to me that suggestions of NPOs in order to recover £118 is entirely out of proportion.

Playing devil's advocate, Santander are right observe their obligations under the DPA. Indeed it is not their data that is required, it is the recipient banks.

What is this criminal offence of using the DPA to conceal crime.

As far as the bank is concerned, they carried out their customers instructions. What is there to suggest to them that a crime has been committed?

Comment

Thanks but Santander is the recipient's bank!

In response to your statement "What is there to suggest to them that a crime has been committed?" I would say that Santander accept that one of their customers has money that does not belong to him/her and refuses to return it- it is just that apart from writing one letter requesting the recipient to return the money they are not prepared to do any more. Some may be of the opinion that the recipient have been fortunate to have received a "windfall" however my opinion is that they have been guilty of what can only be described as theft. It cannot be compared to picking up money from the street - in this case the recipient knows from where the money has come and has the means to return it but refuses to do so. Lastly it does not matter if the amount is £118.00 or £11800.00 it is the principle that I am fighting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kensh View Post
                            Hi Tools I wonder if you could help ? I am in the process of writing to Nathan Bostock CEO of Santander to complain about his bank's response to my wife's misdirected payment. From your link above I found the text in bold below but when reading the original Payments Council's Code of Best Practice www.paymentscouncil.org.uk/current_projects/misdirected_payments/ I could not find the relevant text from which to quote. So I wonder from where "Thismoney.co.uk took the quote - thanks
                            Try http://www.paymentscouncil.org.uk/me...s/-/page/2867/

Comment

Apologies if it was clear Santander was recipients bank.

However, what they have is you asserting that you (your wife) miskeyed recipients bank details, they have written to recipient who has not responded. That is hardly evidence of theft.

I do understand what you are saying, but I am suggesting that the DPA does in fact protect the recipient on this occasion.

You may consider the principle to be worth fighting for, I am suggesting to you that as with any litigation, it is important to balance the likely costs against the likely benefit.

As far as I understand it, you would be unlikely to recover costs of pursuing this information by means of litigation seeking an NPO against anyone.

Comment

Thank you - so do you think I can quote from this to CEO of Santander ? I can't find the same text in the code's actual document but obviously this "what the customer can expect" comes from a media release from Payment Council so methinks it should be okay to quote- perhaps I will use the link you have kindly sent in my letter to CEO

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X