• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Being contacted by Lowells but the debt doesn't show on my credit score app.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being contacted by Lowells but the debt doesn't show on my credit score app.

I've been constantly getting emails from Lowells trying to recover a small debt which is from about 8 years ago, however when I check the Credit Karma app this debt is not shown.

Can anyone explain what this means please? I thought after 6 years the debt gets wiped? Or is this not true?

Thank you
    Tags: None

I understand that after six years with no contact, the debt dies, that is there is no CCJ attached, as it will stay in force.

Comment

A default will stay on your credit file with the private Credit Reference Agencies for six years from the date of default and then is automatically removed but that doesn't affect the legal status of the debt itself.

If you do not make a payment or admit to the creditor in writing that you owe the debt for 6 years it then becomes 'statute barred', meaning that although the debt still exists the creditor can no longer enforce it in court. More information and a draft letter on our statute barred page on the link below.

Statute Barred Debt Letter - LegalBeagles Forum

If you are confident that your debt is statute barred send them the statute barred letter. Tell them also that you will only communicate with them in writing by post and they must not email or phone you or visit your address. Confirm your current address. Get Proof of Posting.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X