• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collection Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collection Query

Hello there,

I have a question;

My cat underwent treatment at a veterinary practice in January and February this year, for which I assumed my insurance would cover me for.

Long story put short the insurance company have declined the claim, which I accept I am now responsible to pay.

The vets practice whilst I was appealing the claim with the insurer have transferred the debt for collection to an agency who have added a 30% fee on top, which I am very reluctant to pay as I don't think such an exorbitant fee would be legal.

Are flat fees legal for consumer debts? Am I legally obliged to pay this fee? I want to offer to clear the balance over several months, but I certainly want to make clear that I won't be paying their fees.

Anyone with some expertise in this?
    Tags: None

Hi all,

Is anyone able to help with this at all?

Thank you!

Comment

Hi AQUESTION

Welcome to LB

Fees should be reasonable and proportionate.

The best thing to do is write a complaint to the vet and the debt collector, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/CONC/7/7.html

Comment

Thank you very much for your response.

I can't find any reference to FCA regulation on this particular debt collector; are they required to be regulated and/or registered with the FCA in order to conduct debt collection activity?

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by Aquestion View Post
          Thank you very much for your response.

I can't find any reference to FCA regulation on this particular debt collector; are they required to be regulated and/or registered with the FCA in order to conduct debt collection activity?

Cheers,
          Are they members of any trade bodies or associations?

Comment

Not as far as I am aware.

I'm quite happy to discharge the debt I have as I feel morally (as well as legally) obliged to, but I just don't feel that circa £1400 in fees is justifiable, for just sending a couple of emails

But I'm not an expert.

Do you think these fees are enforceable?

Comment

Originally posted by Aquestion View Post
              Not as far as I am aware.

I'm quite happy to discharge the debt I have as I feel morally (as well as legally) obliged to, but I just don't feel that circa £1400 in fees is justifiable, for just sending a couple of emails

But I'm not an expert.

Do you think these fees are enforceable?
              They need to 'justify' them. Have you asked the vet to call the debt back, so you can settle the matter.

You could call CAB, ask if they can get Trading Standards to look into the debt collection company, it sounds dubious because it's not regulated, make sure you tell CAB that. I think TS will be well aware of them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X