• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

eBay Debt Recovery DRS Text Message. What should I do? £9000!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Debt Recovery DRS Text Message. What should I do? £9000!

I had an eBay account a few years ago and sold a high-value piece of jewelry for around £9000. I sent the item to eBay's authenticity center (mandatory for this value), and the tracking showed it was delivered. However, eBay later claimed they never received it. After an investigation, UPS said it was delivered to a different address on the estate where the authenticity center is located. Eventually, eBay located the package but said it contained only chocolate and unrelated items, which I obviously did not send. UPS was unhelpful. As a result, eBay refunded the buyer, and my account went minus £9000. I refused to pay, lost my eBay account, and no longer have access to it or the associated email.

Today, I received a text from DRS debt recovery with my name and a reference number, stating I owe a debt to eBay and to log in online using a passcode emailed to me (which I don't have since I no longer have access to the email). When I called DRS for more information, they asked for my address, which I refused to give based on advice I read online. They then said they couldn't discuss the debt further and ended the call.

What should I do in this situation? Should I contact DRS again and provide my details to find out more about the debt? Should I send a letter explaining why I shouldn't owe this debt and do nothing further? Is there a legal risk of them taking me to court? Any advice would be appreciated.

From what I am aware of, I think they only have my name and telephone number. I have not received any debt letters in the post and I removed/change my address from eBay at the time this all happened. I also have not received any CCJ's. This is the first time they have contacted me.
    Tags: None

You should always tell the debt owner your current address.
    ​​​​​​
    The reason is that if they decide to start court proceedings against you they can send the court documents to your last known address (the last address they had for you). If you no longer live there you wouldn't receive them, wouldn't know proceedings had been issued so wouldn't be able to defend them. You would then lose by default and get a CCJ issued against you that you knew nothing about until bailiffs tracked you down
    ​​​​​
    Send them a letter by post - get a (free) proof of posting - telling them your current address. And that you will only deal with them by post and they must not contact you by email text or phone. NEVER talk to debt collectors by phone. There will be no record of the conversation and they will lie about what was said.

It is possible eBay could take you to court considering the amount involved. Not something I know a lot about, hopefully others here can offer more advice.
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 28th May 2024, 16:00:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

You could fill in an income and expenditure form, take into account the 'cost of living', If you are left with £1 a month, so be it, that is all a Court would ask you to pay. It's a non priority debt.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...itor---letter/

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
        You could fill in an income and expenditure form, take into account the 'cost of living', If you are left with £1 a month, so be it, that is all a Court would ask you to pay. It's a non priority debt.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...itor---letter/
        thanks for this. Are you saying I should get that sample letter from CAB and send that to DRS and say I can only pay £1 a month?

Comment

I think it is too soon to be doing that. We haven't established whether you are liable for this debt yet, you might have a viable defence. And Echatt11 wasn't suggesting you tell them all you can pay is £1 per month unless that really is all you can afford.

Write as I suggested on post #2 and see what they come back with. Upload their letter onto here after covering up all details that could identify you, including their reference numbers and account numbers.
          Last edited by PallasAthena; 28th May 2024, 16:20:PM.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
            I think it is too soon to be doing that. We haven't established whether you are liable for this debt yet, you might have a viable defence. And Echatt11 wasn't suggesting you tell them all you afford is £1 per month unless that really is all you can pay.

Write as I suggested on post #2 and see what they come back with. Upload their letter onto here after covering up all details that could identify you, including their reference numbers and account numbers.
            I got another text from them with a link to their website with a portal where they have provided this letter. Please see attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

No need to rush to do anything. Wait for more advice on here.

Remember that debt collectors have no legal powers, none at all

How long ago was your account suspended?

Is the total they want less than £10,000?

Comment

okay, I'll wait for the advice.. I can't actually remember but I think it was approx 2 years ago. No access to the account or emails to check.

Comment

Send Ebay and UPS a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the accounts, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Did you ever contact the police?

Comment

Send Ebay and UPS a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the accounts, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

Did you ever contact the police?
                    Why do you think I need to do this?

No I never contacted the police

Comment

Originally posted by hiitsme View Post

Why do you think I need to do this?

No I never contacted the police
                      Well, you've stated that you can't access information / account etc

This will help you get some information, maybe the information you seek.

Comment

Well, you've stated that you can't access information / account etc

This will help you get some information, maybe the information you seek.
                        Ah okay - they did send another text with a letter which I have included above

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X