• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debts after death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debts after death

Hi all,
    If someone has died but left say £25k of debt, will this debt get written off?
    The deceased left around the same in the bank account for which we have letters of administration for, but we'd rather this money went to the only child of the deceased.
    Tags: None

No it doesn't get written off, it becomes a debt of the Estate and needs to be paid out of the Estate assets before any of the Estate can be distributed to beneficiaries.

If you are the administrator under Letters of Administration and you did what you are suggesting you could become personally liable to pay the deceased's creditors and they could take action against you in court..
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Interesting, thank you. Seems Google isn't as accurate as we think!

Comment

You don't want to believe everything you read online

Debts in the sole name of the deceased are only written off is there isn't enough money in the Estate to pay them so the Estate is insolvent.

Fact Sheet - Debts after death | National Debtline | National Debtline
        Last edited by PallasAthena; 11th March 2024, 12:36:PM.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto154 View Post
          Interesting, thank you. Seems Google isn't as accurate as we think!
          If the OP thought that the information that he found somewhere online was accurate, he would not have come here to check. And "we" should always think about what we read online, assessing whether it is from a reliable source and doing other appropriate due diligence - even in a forum such as this.

Of course debts have to be settled by the estate following death..
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X