• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I have a parking fine but not my vehicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a parking fine but not my vehicle

Hello this morning i received a Claim Form letter from a parking services company ltd which is asking me to pay £650 for a parking charge from 2018. The letter looks official from something called civil national business centre but i thought i would ask here about it first. The thing is, this is the first time i have heard about this and in the letter it says it is for a car i have not owned (i don't drive), it's not mine, and i have no idea who has it. I'm from the north and the fine says it is from the south which makes it more confusing. Is there anything I can do, it says i have 14 days. Thank you for helping
    Tags: None

Firstly, the Civil National Business Centre in Northampton (if that's who it is genuinely from) is an official body. It is the central court office for small claims and handles the administration, including sending out court claims. It's where parking-related claims usually come from. It's important that you meet any deadlines specified for your responses or you might lose the claim by default for not replying.

Please post it up on here so that we can advise. Before posting cover up everything that could identify you - your name and address, vehicle reg number, any court reference numbers and barcodes, and any claimant reference numbers that the claimant had included. Leave in dates and the claimant's details.

So you have never owned this car? Have you ever owned a car (sometimes people who don't drive do own a vehicle)? Do you have a driving licence?

Was it sent addressed to you at your current address? How long have you lived there?

This may sound obvious, but was the letter addressed to you using your full correct name?

Private parking companies get their information about who owns a vehicle from the DVLA in Swansea so there are various possibilities for an administrative error
    Last edited by PallasAthena; 16th December 2023, 12:58:PM.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

In addition to above:

Do acknowledge receipt of the claim form, indicate you will defend in full but at this stage do not enter a defence.
      This will allow 33 days in which to sort out your defence.

You will need to send a CPR31.14 request to the claimant's solicitor (there is a template in the shortcuts panel on the right of this page.)
      Also send a subject Access request to the claimant named at the top of the claim form (again template on the right)
      If you need help with these forms let us know
      Send them first class post with a free certificate of posting from post office. No need to send recorded!.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
        Firstly, the Civil National Business Centre in Northampton (if that's who it is genuinely from) is an official body. It is the central court office for small claims and handles the administration, including sending out court claims. It's where parking-related claims usually come from. It's important that you meet any deadlines specified for your responses or you might lose the claim by default for not replying.

Please post it up on here so that we can advise. Before posting cover up everything that could identify you - your name and address, vehicle reg number, any court reference numbers and barcodes, and any claimant reference numbers that the claimant had included. Leave in dates and the claimant's details.

So you have never owned this car? Have you ever owned a car (sometimes people who don't drive do own a vehicle)? Do you have a driving licence?

Was it sent addressed to you at your current address? How long have you lived there?

This may sound obvious, but was the letter addressed to you using your full correct name?

Private parking companies get their information about who owns a vehicle from the DVLA in Swansea so there are various possibilities for an administrative error

I scanned the document as best i could with my phone, and saved as pdf
        link here, please let me know it is accessible thanks for helping

So you have never owned this car?
        - never owned this car

Have you ever owned a car?
        - Not driven since 2016

Do you have a driving licence?
        - Own a UK Driving License

Was it sent addressed to you at your current address?
        - Sent to my Mothers address which is where I am living.

How long have you lived there?
        -Since December 2017

was the letter addressed to you using your full correct name?
        -They used my full names yes.

Many thanks

Comment

pdf link: https://file.io/LCKuMFmgDX8W

Comment

A Claim Form is an official document issued by the Courts of England and Wales. You must file your acknowledgement of service and the a Defence, failing which a default judgement (CCJ) will be given against you.

Did you not receive some guidance notes with the Claim Form?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Photo scan using my phone, hope it is legible, and i tried to edit out a few personal details.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Roth View Post
                well I can't access it
                All i get is a transparency report from Google!

we will need to see the claim form, especially the Particulars of Claim.

Comment

submitted an acknowledgement of service this morning.

Attached Files

Comment

OK, but now write to the DVLA requesting proof that you're not the registered keeper of the vehicle and never have been– provide them with as much information about the vehicle as you can. The DVLA will then update their records and send you a letter to confirm this within 4 weeks.

If you post up the particulars of claim someone will assist with a holding defence while awaiting DVLA response

Did you send the CPR31.14 request and subject Access Request letters as per post 3.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X