• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

"unenforceable, yet still collectable as you are still aware of your responsibility"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "unenforceable, yet still collectable as you are still aware of your responsibility"

Hello,

I have 2 debts which Link financial have bought, totalling £12,000. I requested CCAs which they cannot provide, and they admit that the debt is unenforceable. The default date is Oct. 2021

I did offer a full and final settlement offer of 40% which they have refused. In the correspondence they said "Whilst the debts are unenforceable, they are still collectable as you are still aware of your responsibility".

My questions are -

how do they determine that I am "aware of my responsibility" ? Is it because I made an offer and have been in communication with them? Does being "aware of my responsibility" have any legal consequences?

I now intend not to pay them anything, is there anything I can do which makes me "unaware of my responsibility"?

Any advice on how to proceed much appreciated, thanks.
    Tags: None

Hi Johnjohnson

Welcome to LB

a) I did offer a full and final settlement offer of 40% which they have refused. In the correspondence they said "Whilst the debts are unenforceable, they are still collectable as you are still aware of your responsibility".

The response from them is just 'standard wording', so wording they would use in letters to all debtors with 'unenforceable' agreements. When making offers, mark the letter 'Without Prejudice'.

b) how do they determine that I am "aware of my responsibility" ? Is it because I made an offer and have been in communication with them? Does being "aware of my responsibility" have any legal consequences?

As above.

c) I now intend not to pay them anything, is there anything I can do which makes me "unaware of my responsibility"?

Although the debt is 'unenforceable' (they can't take the matter to Court, as they can't find the agreement), the debt doesn't disappear, they can chase it, but little incentive to do so, as they would be wasting their time.

Comment

Thankyou echat11, that's very helpful.

I have one other defaulted credit card debt bought by a different collection agency, who did find my CCA. They have proposed a figure for a full and final settlement. They have said "If you would like to accept this offer, we would appreciate if you could help us ensure the payment is affordable for you, by answering the following questions:", one of which is "do you have any other debts? if so do you have payment plans in place?"

I intend to pay the settlement figure with money from a family member and my main bills are up to date. In the past I have sent this agency a list of my other creditors.

Am I obliged to answer this question? My concern is that If I say I do have other debts with no payment plan in place they might withdraw the terms of the settlement they are offering.

My plan is not to pay Link financial and I have told Link this - could this constitute "having a payment plan in place"?

Thanks again

Comment

a) They have said "If you would like to accept this offer, we would appreciate if you could help us ensure the payment is affordable for you, by answering the following questions:", one of which is "do you have any other debts? if so do you have payment plans in place?"

If it's on your credit report, then they will know about other debts. I would state you have other debts, but they are on hold by the Creditor.

b) I intend to pay the settlement figure with money from a family member and my main bills are up to date. In the past I have sent this agency a list of my other creditors.

Make sure you mark the letter 'Without Prejudice'.

https://nationaldebtline.org/fact-sh...ent-offers-ew/

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...tlement-offer/

c) Am I obliged to answer this question? My concern is that If I say I do have other debts with no payment plan in place they might withdraw the terms of the settlement they are offering.

As above (a).

d) My plan is not to pay Link financial and I have told Link this - could this constitute "having a payment plan in place"?

As above (a).

Comment

Thanks again echat11,

If I might ask one more question - is it ok to communicate with creditors via email or should it be a paper letter sent through the post?

Comment

email is fine. It is written, and there is a record of it.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thankyou atticus.

Great forum

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X