• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Please help! I think im a rare case!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! I think im a rare case!

Hi all, looking for help please. My issue is I'm in lots of debt. Built up over about 4 years where my mental health and worry has caused me to bury my head in the sand. My issue is, that since losing my self employed singer job during Covid, I claimed Universal Credit. Since things calmed, I've had very sparodic work, so continued to claim, as I'm already in big rent arrears and didn't want to lose the safety net of having my rent covered.

I was wrongly told that I could continue to claim as I was working less than 16 hours. Apparently, that has changed and i should have been declaring any income on my UC portal to offset any payments. I put in a tax return for last year, because im obviously very transparent when it comes to money, but now not sure how to deal with my debts, if it ends up that i shouldnt have continued to claim, as i wouldnt be able to repay a years worth of UC on top of my other debts, which include a reposessed car, a VAT bill, several ulez zone fines and parking fines, rent arrears, utility arrears, and council tax.

If I go bankrupt, it may affect my tenancy. If an IVA is the best option, that will have less effect on my tenancy, then maybe that is my correct route? But im not sure what to do moving forward and how?

I'm in a much better place now. Positive, tee-total, healthy, and mentally a lot better, so i just want to rid myself of this cloud over my head, and get a fresh start. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Wayne
    Tags: None

Try not to worry.

What you need to do is put everything in a spreadsheet, income and expenditure, because of the 'cost of living crisis' you need to be generous in the expenditure amounts, utility, food etc.

There are priority debts, council tax etc. There are non priority debts, utility debts etc.

At the moment, you don't know how UC, potentially over-payments stand.

Work out what you are left with each month, then see what priority debts can be offered each month, agree a payment plan them. Then with the non priority debts, see what can be offered each month, agree a payment plan, if it's £1, so be it.

Send and amend the following template. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...o-rata-offers/

Also see if you can get the utility debt - https://britishgasenergytrust.org.uk...relief-grants/

Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm just wondering if an IVA would be more beneficial? As I'm hopeless with organising and with paperwork

Comment

Originally posted by Swiftyboy71 View Post
        Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I'm just wondering if an IVA would be more beneficial? As I'm hopeless with organising and with paperwork
        https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...hat-an-iva-is/

But also give CAB a ring, so they can advise.

Comment

Any more help please?

Comment

Originally posted by Swiftyboy View Post
            Any more help please?
            I really can't add much more, if you believe that a IVA is the best way to proceed and less hassle for you to manage, then it is best to contact CAB, so they can provide more 'tailored' advice.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Thank you
                Tell us how you get on, there might be pointers along the way, if you are being treated 'unfairly' by Creditors or other things where we might be able to help.

The important thing is you personally are making progress, you need to be in control as much as possible of this and get to where you want to be.

Comment

Further to the above, I have been trying to get all the paperwork together to sort mybdebts once and for all, but I know have Jacobs leaving voicenotes saying they will attend to remove giids and vehicles

Comment

Further to the above, I have been trying to get all the paperwork together to sort mybdebts once and for all, but I know have Jacobs leaving voicenotes saying they will attend to remove giids and vehicles
                    Read the following:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...re-vulnerable/

If you are a 'vulnerable' person email Jacobs and the creditor the following (that should give you time and space) -

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...vulnerable-ew/

On bailiffs -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...%20your%20debt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X