• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reasonable time between issuing a letter before claim and issuing a court claim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonable time between issuing a letter before claim and issuing a court claim?

Hi there

I received a letter before claim in July 2022 with sparse details about a personal loan with Sainsburys and responded that I’d be defending the debt. I asked for more information about the debt. I received no reply. I kind of forgot about it and went on holiday in January 2023 to February 2023. I just returned to find I have a CCJ issued 2 days ago. I couldn’t have reasonably thought this would happen as I heard nothing for over 6 months. What can I do?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Set Aside Application if advised. but we need facts before action?

Comment

The OP is naive. He had been warned.

He can apply to set aside judgement.
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi
        Well I thought they had dropped it because of the 6 months with hearing nothing. I don’t know what else I could have done whilst out of the country, I couldn’t receive my mail.
        I’ll post the letters I’ve received below.

Thanks

Comment

I wonder if anyone would be able to help. I’ve attached correspondence I referred to in my original post.

In hindsight, my mistakes are: I didn’t chase the solicitors Mortimer Clarke after my letter asking for the written credit agreement in August 2022, my letter to them is very basic because I thought the official letter requesting the credit agreement and sending a cheque of £1, came at the actual court claim stage after ticking defend? (I have successfully defended a court claim before and had it dropped before hearing so remember that part partially). In this case I haven’t had the chance to defend the claim as I was away on holiday.

I think this debt is a mistake. My husband took a loan before we broke up, but I’m sure it was in his name.

I feel that taking the chance to go on holiday was reasonable due to not hearing anything after the letter of claim for 6 months? I’m not sure what other people do about holidays after a letter of claim?

I’m not sure what my defence is as I have no information as the particulars of claim are as brief as the letter before claim.

I think I need to apply to have it set aside and fill in the N244 Court Application Form but I don’t know how to prepare a defence when I don’t have the info I need about the debt? It was a long time ago that I defended an actual court claim and have no idea how to do this at this stage?

Any help would be appreciated very much!
          Attached Files

Comment

I can’t find the example letter to request that the claimant agrees to have this set aside. Any ideas what this should include? Do I send this to Cabot (the claimant) or the solicitors Mortimer Clarke?

Comment

Top right. Of the page

Comment

I just realised this is posted in the wrong section (general debt advice) I’ve moved this to the court claim section.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X