• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

US citizen (in US) defaulting on my UK rental prpeprty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizen (in US) defaulting on my UK rental prpeprty

Sounds odd but that's the case with our UK rental property. A US citizen has been delayed relocating over (visa/cant sell house issues). He's basically sourced our property too early. He's pad the last 2 months but is now having to 'raise finances' and he's 2 weeks late. So I'm wondering worse case scenario here. He's under the usual AST (tenancy agreement) and he's being chased by the rental agents but my guess is that as he's in the US he can just walk away. A UK citizen would have debt recovery agents all over them in due course and a CCJ potentially. But my worry is that he'll actually be left in no worse position if he just doesn't pay again. He has no UK bank account (he wires the money and so no UK footprint). So other than his integrity (and possibly pride hurt), I'm wondering whether anything can be added to his name in this country so it at least makes life difficult for him if he was to ever come to the UK. My guess is no but I hope I'm wrong The agents say to instruct lawyers but I think that would be pointless as recovery from the US would be VERY difficult to zero chance. Thanks for any guidance.
    Tags: None

Ask him to agree that the tenancy is at an end so that he can save his money and you can re-let.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Ask him to agree that the tenancy is at an end so that he can save his money and you can re-let.
      Thanks. I realise that. Still, my question remains.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmybond007 View Post
        The agents say to instruct lawyers but I think that would be pointless as recovery from the US would be VERY difficult to zero chance.
        I agree with you.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          I agree with you.
          But would they have repercussions either now or if he ever came to UK? I'm trying to understand if there is any problems he might face if he did just disappear!

Comment

Your guess as stated in your first post was on the money.

Do yourself the favour of a cost/benefit analysis between (1) bringing things to an early close so that you can re-let at minimal cost/loss and (2) spending money trying to sue a US resident, and then hoping that one day you might find that he's slipped into the country.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X