• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Returning money owed (£ 50K)to family member - advice needed please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning money owed (£ 50K)to family member - advice needed please

Hi,
    I would like some advice.

My brother gave me around £50K to help me buy my first property a few years ago.
    He would now like the money back, I am in a position to return his money.

The conveyancing team at the time asked him to write a letter stating that the money is a gift repayable upon sale of the house.

I was planning on returning the money and asking my brother to sign a document to acknowledge receipt of his money and to confirm there are no further outstanding payments to be made to him in the future. I am not planning on selling the house.

How would I go about preparing such a letter such that it is recognised as a valid legal document?
    For example, is there a legal process through which this takes place, or does this document have to be signed in front of a certain type of witness?

Many thanks
    Tags: None

No formality is required.

I am not sure what a repayable gift is, but hey . .

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      No formality is required.

I am not sure what a repayable gift is, but hey . .
      Thanks.

I was more interested in creating a legal document in case there is a legal dispute in future. For example, if there is a divorce/claim on house/claim that money was not repaid partially/completely etc.

Comment

If you really want to, you can instruct a solicitor to draft a deed of acknowledgement and release.

I agree that this is unnecessary, however.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X