• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old Debt Enforcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Debt Enforcement

I am hoping someone can assist me with a troubling situation.

My ex wife of 4 years & I had some old debts that dated back around 12-14 or more years.

There were no CCJs attached to these debts that had been passed to Cabot & Capquest, just monthly very nominal payments being made.

As part of the divorce agreement in 2018, we both agreed to continue paying these jointly from our old account as although the debts were held in our individual names, they were accrued jointly.

Now my ex without consultation, closed our old joint account in April that these payments were made from.

She also removed the balance in full and had it sent to her.

She has not responded to any contact from me since.

While she used to be the contact on these debts, as some were in my name, I felt obliged to contact the companies as the direct debits would naturally bounce back and I didn't want any issues with my credit score etc.

Not knowing what the legal position was over the debts, I called both companies & I agreed lower settlements with them and planned to take legal action against my ex to recover her half of the debt.

Whilst we had a legal divorce agreement, I am now being told by a top solicitor that I have only a 50/50 of enforcing it.

The solicitor has also queried that as the debts are so old, they are probably not enforceable, but they cannot confirm that as it's not their field.

Can anyone please tell me the position about such old debts as I don't want to become liable for the full amount if I don't pay the settlement offer, but I also don't want to be liable for her half as I certainly don't have it.

I certainly do not want any CCJs or a damaged credit score which is now excellent.

I am also very concerned to read that while I personally had never having had any dealings with these companies, by me calling them, I may have unwittingly undone the fact there had been no prior or recent contact and have now opened up debts that had potentially become unenforceable?!

Desperately hoping someone can advise me.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Bump in the hope someone can advise please?

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic UK View Post

Whilst we had a legal divorce agreement, I am now being told by a top solicitor that I have only a 50/50 of enforcing it.
      The solicitor has also queried that as the debts are so old, they are probably not enforceable, but they cannot confirm that as it's not their field.
      Generally (there are exceptions) a debt becomes statute barred after six years but the six years restarts on the date of your last payment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X