• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debts after relative died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debts after relative died

Hi

my dad died in October 2021 - he has £170k of historical debts (including some more recent debts) that have been passed to Cabot and Philips and Cohen. He was paying a small amount very regularly until he died.

he inherited money from my grandad in April 2021 and used it to buy two properties.

philips and Cohen etc have hounded us relentlessly - we had advice to offer a settlement based on the amount in personal accounts so offered £3k but they came back asking for a form to list everything in the estate

if we do this surely they will then demand everything

Before dad died they offered him 65 percent reductions - is this worth asking for now?

should we try and negotiate a settlement given the historical nature of debts (30 years old) or just declare everything and pay them all off?

no ccJs

thanks so much

Tags: None

Welcome to the forum.

As administrator of the estate, you have legal obligations to deal with the estate according to law. This includes paying debts to the extent that the estate is able to. You risk personal liability if you do not act in accordance with your obligations as administrator.

In terms of your questions, the worst case is that the debts must be paid in full, if there is sufficient in the estate. If not, each creditor must be paid the same, pro-rata (this assumes that the debts are unsecured).

But there is no harm in seeing if you can negotiate payment of something less. Whether creditors will accept anything less than payment in full remains to be seen.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I am sure you are correct Atticus but (just for my knowledge) if there are no CCJs and the debts are unsecured what is the legal obligation to pay after the debtor dies?

Comment

A creditor can sue an estate to obtain judgement. An executor (or, as here, administrator) has a legal obligation to ascertain and pay debts, and may be made personally liable for such debts if he does not do so.

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X