• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem With Debt Collectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With Debt Collectors

I was wondering if you could advise me on a problem I have with debt collectors - I keep getting daily phone calls (I ignore them, because I get anxiety and panic attacks).

I think they’re after my friend who doesn’t live here but was staying with me occasionally and using my address for their Mail as they had no fixed abode. I might point out that I had no idea my friend had debts until I saw the bailiff letters!

Should I call the agents and explain this as the latest letter was a removal notice?

Also as far as I know my friend isn’t even in the country at the moment and I haven’t seen them for a few months.

Many thanks

Ansley
    Tags: None

Debt collectors won't just go away, you need to talk to them. Until you do you will never know what it's really about. That said, if it is about your friend they will be unable to discuss it with you but you can explain your situation and they will log the converation on their file.

Comment

How do you know it's debt collectors calling if you've been ignoring them? Are the bailiff letters addressed to you or to the name of your friend?

Comment

Originally posted by KearaPP View Post
        How do you know it's debt collectors calling if you've been ignoring them? Are the bailiff letters addressed to you or to the name of your friend?
        I like the way you think.

Comment

Ok thanks ENGLANDPI - so talk to them to tell them it's my friends debt and he no longer lives with me? I'm not super comfortable with being on a call with them.

KEARAPP - I only know they're debt collectors because when I googled one of the numbers (03445560216) it came back with this report. I'm not sure how they got my number for my friend's debt.

Comment

[QUOTE=AnsleyDyson;n1583087]Ok thanks ENGLANDPI - so talk to them to tell them it's my friends debt and he no longer lives with me? I'm not super comfortable with being on a call with them.

Write to them instead

Comment

Ok, I'll try that - do you know of a template or anything I can use so that I don't mess it up and take responsibility for the debt or something?

Comment

No. A simple letter will do.

Comment

I sympathize with your problems

Comment

Bailiffs???? sure of that? or a dept collection agency, somewhat more detail would help here pls??

Comment

Perhaps you should contact them first and try to negotiate with them?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X