• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Import Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Tax

I decided I wanted a new camera and selected a camera from Camera Lounge a UK company in London. It is a Nikon P1000 at £889 (incl VAT). On their web site it was listed as IN STOCK. So I ordered it. I was told it was on its way the next day. After a week went by I contacted the store and asked where it was and to give me a tracking number. He did and it was in Hong Kong! I said why does it state IN STOCK when it was definitely not the case. His reply was that they did not have a large warehouse to stock everything. I said you state its IN STOCK, which is why I bought it. And later on it was in Paris, then Heathrow. Finally Fedex brought it around and said I owe £99 import tax. I said I do not and explained that the camera was bought and paid for as a UK item, along with UK VAT. Fedex sent me a demand, and I sent it to the shop whee Mark told me this will be taken care of as 'they have an agreement with Fedex. I then ignored the demand until another arrived. I contacted Camera Lounge via email again. I repeated that I am definitely not paying import tax as they had falsely advertised it as in stock. "Send me your bank details and I will send you the amount, so you can pay it" - I did that 2 weeks ago and he has done nothing. I phoned Fedex and spoke to them. I told them the story and they said that Camera Lounge has not been in touch with them at all. I now have a final demand letter which Fedex agreed to place on 'hold' for now. I have had no replies at all from the shop. How do I stand on this? At no time in writing has it mentioned Import Tax in the web site.
    Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.
    Tags: None

Darkness is only the absence of light; ignorance is only the absence of knowledge.

Comment

As you imported the camera you are liable for the tax, so I would suggest you pay it.
      You then reclaim it from Camera Lounge.
      If they decline to reimburse you, you (after warning them) issue a county court claim as they were guilty of misrepresentation.

Comment

many thanks for your reply. I have issued the 'warning' that if he fails to reimburse me, I will seek a court order and he will then pay me AND the court.

Comment

Update: sorry about delay. I paid the Import Tax and after 'threatening' the store with a small claims action, they paid up. Strange that the web site went offline for several days. Their excuse was they had been hacked. I got the impression they were removing evidence but by that time I had already taken a screen shot of the item with the IN Stock flag on there.

For Adriledama: Fedex was allied with a delivery company I worked for in the early 2000. But there soon became unknown friction between the too and the company pulled out of the partnership.

DES8: I didnt actually import it. The store advertised in stock which is the sole reason I ordered from there. The store then contacted someone overseas, nothing to do with me. I bought in UK and paid UK VAT.

Comment

Thanks for the update and pleased you obtained reimbursement.

Comment

It is better to contact lawyers in a situation like this. It is their issue if it was indicated that all payment including taxes in in the price. Or you can not bother and pay the full amount. It is your choice. The main thing is to be more careful in the future. You should chose only proven companies. The issue of taxes always remains difficult. I contact https://e-delaware.com/ein for such questions. Btw I have small shop and fulfill my obligations regularly. I plan to switch to online sales shortly.

Comment

Afraid I fell into that trap. E Bay Camera Lens advertised as local, It was if Japan is local. paid then to late found I was in for import Tax plus, from memory Post Office charges on top. Lesson learnt to Look before you leap.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X