• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Boyfriend and family asking for renovation costs on property I don't own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Boyfriend and family asking for renovation costs on property I don't own

Hi everyone, looking for some pragmatic advice here. Please let me know if there's a more appropriate forum for this issue.

My boyfriend's father recently put the deposit down for a house being renovated with the view to myself and my boyfriend living there and paying the mortgage. His father claims that he wants to transfer the mortgage to myself and my boyfriend’s names if and when the time is appropriate i.e. we’re both in stable jobs with a good income, or we get married. However, I have recently been asked to pay between £2000-3000 from my personal savings in renovation costs (painting, flooring etc) before we move in, which my boyfriend’s family see as reasonable due to their verbal agreement of the house as a ‘gift’ and eventually becoming mine. My boyfriend keeps quoting all the money he has personally spent on it so far. I feel very uneasy about being asked to pay these renovation costs, because I currently have no legal ownership of the property and there's no security if the relationship ends. To my mind, and despite their good intentions, I am effectively renting the house from my boyfriend’s father without a contract until/if he transfers the mortgage.This is obviously something that would never be asked of you as a tenant.

Asides from the emotional difficulty of the situation (it's being implied that I'm devaluing the relationship and the generosity of his parents), it is causing me a great deal of financial concern, as £2000-3000 is a substantial amount of money. If the relationship between my boyfriend were to came to an end, or any other circumstances prevented me from co-habiting in that property, I have no guarantee that they would refund the renovation costs I paid, despite verbal promises. Because I have no legal rights over the property, I see this money as closer to a loan.

Is there any way that I can request for my boyfriend and/or his father to sign a contract or other document guaranteeing the reimbursement of my payment if the relationship does come to an end, to cover any liabilities? I've been researching into co-habitation agreements and promissory notes. Promissory notes seem like the closest example of what I had in mind, although they seem specific to commercial loans to be repaid at a certain date. What I need is a document with a clause stating that repayment would be conditionally due in the case of the relationship ending before I have any legal ownership and my co-habitation in the property ending. Is there any way to receive help or advice with this?

Or should I out rightly refuse to pay these renovation costs on a house that I may never own? I know this could be something done entirely at my own risk.

Thanks for any advice here. I don't know enough about mortgages, legal contracts and terminology to find the right solution.
    Tags: None

Don't be emotionally blackmailed into accepting something about which you have doubts.

If you are cohabiting, it is always advisable to consider entering into a cohabitation agreement or declaration of trust.

Consult a solicitor

Comment

could it be a loan? If you are happy and the relationship continues you can tear up the loan agreement...if you do go this way then ensure all the legal conditions are met for it to be a true loan

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X