• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tax & Gifts to Family Members

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax & Gifts to Family Members

What tax would my two sons need to pay on a cash gift of £12000 each in this current year?
    If tax needs to be paid at what rate and is there a way around this?
    Thanks.
    Tags: None

If it's a cash gift there's no tax for them to pay providing you don't die in the 7 years after the transaction and so long as your children don't profit from investing the sum. Our family does it all the time.

Comment

As I understand it I can give upto £3000 from this years allowance and £3000 from last years allowance which would be tax free. Therefore I could today give £3000 to each of my sons in this current year 2000/2001 and a further £1500 on April 6th using 2001/2002 allowance.

Is this correct?

Reason I am asking is that my wife and I are in our 80's and who knows we might not survive 7 years.

What is the situation if I open an account in my wifes name and deposit £12,000 and do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbyboy View Post
        Reason I am asking is that my wife and I are in our 80's and who knows we might not survive 7 years.
        Ah fair enough.

As I understand it I can give upto £3000 from this years allowance and £3000 from last years allowance which would be tax free. Therefore I could today give £3000 to each of my sons in this current year 2000/2001 and a further £1500 on April 6th using 2001/2002 allowance.

Is this correct?
        As I understand it, yes.

What is the situation if I open an account in my wifes name and deposit £12,000 and do the same.
        Not totally sure but I think the £3k annual allowance is per parent, so maybe that would be ok.

Some links:

Tax and gifting money to children - Saga

Gifts and exemptions from Inheritance Tax - Money Advice Service

As ever if you're not totally sure get some professional advice.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice, I am begining to believe having read thru the above and the link to the SAGA site that I have no need to worry.
          Because as I now understand it when either of us dies our wills state that our estate goes to the other partner and therfore so does our a IHT allowance [£325k + £325k] £650k, which is above the total of our estate therefore there would be no tax to pay.
          Am I correct on this, sorry to ask another question.
          Last edited by Bobbyboy; 23rd February 2021, 15:33:PM.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure. I've not really looked at it but Money Saving Expert might have the answer:

Inheritance tax: plan to legally save £100,000s on your estate - MoneySavingExpert

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X