• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander - Applying Credit Card Refund against Statute Barred Debt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander - Applying Credit Card Refund against Statute Barred Debt?

Santander has written to me to tell me that due to a historic system error, they didn't send me a Notice of Sums in Arrears and owe me in the region of a couple of thousand pounds that includes stat interest at 8%.

The card was opened in 2010 and was closed down presumably a few years later. I've heard nothing for over 6 years. (It is definitely a statute-barred debt) There is nothing on my credit file. I've had no letters regarding it.

The issue is that they are offsetting the refund against this historic balance.

I realise that I owe/d them the money but the credit card debt was presumably written off years ago.

Is there any way that I could get them to send me a cheque instead? I am on a low salary so it would be very helpful.

Thanks for any helpful advice in advance!
    Last edited by donuticing; 25th October 2020, 16:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Hmm, I think that's wishful thinking. You could ask, but I wouldn't get your hopes up

Comment

They can no doubt as HSBC did to us a few years ago, as your account was in default (balance owing) then if they are refunding you they would clear existing out standing amount - any left over would go to you??? that is my understanding of it, also why would a company take a possible great loss then make that loss expanded further in paying extra to a person who owed them in the 1st place? do you seem what I am getting at???

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X