• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home Insurance payouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Insurance payouts

Has anyone recently or in the past had payouts by companies how do these work? They have offered me 2 options 1 a cash settlement and 2 they will find a contracter for me and pay them? I'd prefer to find my own so will they pay me a cheque or send the money to my bank account. they did state you can reclaim VAT after paying it?*
    Tags: None

If they are your insurers, they will probably pay by BACS. If they are paying due to a claim caused by a third party insured by them, it will probably be by cheque.

Don't forget if you accept a settlement, that is the end of your claim. If during the works further damage is discovered you will find it difficult to obtain further payment.
    Also if your contractor does less than a good job. it is down to you to sort.

Also if you are not registered for VAT I don't understand how you can reclaim it.*

Comment

Do you have to send them receipts/invoice?

Comment

Not if they have paid an agreed settlement.

Recently a person reversed into my MGB, damaging the front end.
        Her insurers agreed my estimate for repairing it myself without sight of any documentation and sent a cheque.
        Up to me when I repair it. If I wanted I needn't even bother.
        The claim is settled... end of!

Comment

Can you dispute the amount they offer? Can you go to an ombudsman if they refuse and increase?*

Comment

You can always negotiate, but it is for you to prove the amount of your loss.
            You can try the ombudsman, but they take their time and I find them as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Comment

Ombudsman worked for me although they rejected my complaint they gave me a handsome goodwill gesture to close the case for good.*

Comment

lucky you!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X