• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Benefit Overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefit Overpayment

Last April of 2014 my husband decided to move permanently to the Philippines as he was about to marry me but of course before doing that he has to settle stuff in the UK. Around December 2013, when his changed of name was finally approved. So he immediately informed the passport office since he needed it. He went to one of the DWP offices to inform them too and he talked to one of their staffs and handed them the deed poll document. But they said they *couldn't get it instead his name will be updated on the next letter. Come February 2014, he called the office again to ask if he will still continue to receive dla since he's moving to a non European country which is the Philippines. And he was told yes. So he held on to that. April 2014 when he came to the Philippines and became a permanent resident of it on August 2017. He wasn't aware with the situation not until few weeks ago. He was casually searching about renewing passport abroad and he came across with taking benefits whilst abroad. He was so surprised because he was told otherwise but in reality that wasn't the *case. He was only allowed to receive the benefits whilst living on a non European country for 13 weeks. Please don't get him wrong about it. He's not blaming anyone here. He immediately contacted them but unfortunately he wasn't able to get through. The number that was posted from their website is not intended for international calls. So he asked a family and a friend to call on his behalf. Eventually he was given an international number to call to and finally he got through. He told them the whole situation and they were surprised with what happened. Prior on getting through with the call, he already sent a letter to them asking them to stop the benefit since a) he knew he's not eligible anymore and b) he doesn't want to commit crime while he's abroad. He doesn't want to affect it just in case he needs to do an international transaction such as renewing passport. He wrote a letter per advised from DWP when our friend talked to them. Same day he got through to the call, the lady he was talking to told him they also sent a letter on his old address which is his mom's house. After a few days she received it and asked his family to answer the form and mail it back on his behalf. He thought everything was okay. Not until yesterday. They replied once again. And he was told to pay £6407 for benefit overpayment. I have to be honest with you, he doesn't have the means to pay for it since the only source of his income was the said benefit. By the way, it is the lowest rate of dla. And the cost of living here is really cheap in case you're wondering. He doesn't have a job. And I'm afraid I can't afford to pay it too. So he's not really able to pay them. I'm just scared of what might have happened. This is purely unintentional**
    Tags: None

Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad: Benefits ...

https://www.gov.uk › Benefits › How benefits work

You can claim the following benefits if you're goingabroadfor up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if it's for medical treatment): AttendanceAllowance.Disability Living Allowance. Personal Independence Payment

People also ask

Can you claim disability living allowance if you live abroad?

Goingabroadtemporarily
    You can claimthe followingbenefits if you're goingabroadfor up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeksifit's for medical treatment): AttendanceAllowance.Disability Living Allowance.

Search for:Can you claim disability living allowance if you live abroad?

Can you claim PIP and live abroad?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP), DisabilityLivingAllowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance.You cancontinue toclaim PIP,DLAor Attendance Allowanceif you're goingabroadfor up to 13 weeks.

* Search for:Can you claim PIP and live abroad

How long can you go abroad on benefit

Can I still get benefits if I move abroad?
    Can I take my disability allowance abroad?

Comment

Just wondering what's the best thing to do. Since he's not able to pay the said overpayment amount. We're going to try to keep in touch again tomorrow though. But I just want to have a general idea on what to do*

Comment

Cannot understand that he says he asked about DLA sounds to me the response he had was in respect of Pension Rights in the Phillipines where an agreement is in place to be paid UK Pensions to residents???? I have* never ever heard of DLAs ever being paid if out of UK after 13 weeks the same a attendance allowances are restricted to very short time out of the country?
        Last edited by MIKE770; 8th December 2019, 06:24:AM.

Comment

maybe somebody here has advice on this subject area, especially renewals of passports at the British Embassy and out standing government aledged debts??*

An area comes to mind is that Passports always belong to the government at all times.* but see what advice come forth here in the next few days?

Comment

Hi Sir. I think this will be my last post for today cus I think I'm only allowed to post 3 times. So I decided to send you a private message. Before he leaves he was clear with what he said. Dla benefit and going to the Philippines permanently. That's why when he found out that he's not entitled anymore we reached out to them in an instant. And when he relayed that to the one he talked to a week ago via international call the lady was so surprised* She told him that the staff that he talked from years ago should have forwarded the call to the main office. But I think it doesn't matter now as they already made a decision. I don't know if we're going to appeal cus it will cost us a lot sending letters back and forth. Our concern now is to talk to Debt Management and raise our concern. Like I said this was purely unintentional. Just want to gather some ideas on what's the best thing to do

Comment

pply for PIP 28 days before your DLA is due to end. Change of circumstances

You must contact the Disability Service Centre if your circumstances change, as this can affect how much DLA you get. For example:
              • the level of help you need or your condition changes
              • you go into hospital or a care home for more than 4 weeks
              • you go abroad for more than 13 weeks
              • you’re imprisoned or held in detention

You must also contact the centre if:
              • you change your name, address or bank details
              • you want to stop receiving your benefit
              • your doctor’s details change

Comment

Amethyst*

Comment

He did that months before leaving UK. That's why on his passport and even on his bank he had his name changed. And told dwp that he's moving permanently here. I just want to have a general idea regarding on what's best thing to do if ever he's not be able to pay the overpayment or at least the monthly scheme

Comment

Name change ??? **

Was the payments paid into a UK bank here???

Comment

Yes. He had a name change back in 2013 prior to leaving uk. And he even handed his deed poll document to one of the offices there but they didn't get it as they said his name will be updated on his next letter.
                      The payments were paid on a UK bank. He has hi an atm

Comment

BTW he's only receiving the dla. And he's 31. And we're wondering too on why he hasn't even transferred to pip. Idk how it works there to be honest so I only rely on him. Cus you know it's totally different here in the Philippines

Comment

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Here's hoping I'll get some ideas on what to do*

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X