• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car HP Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car HP Question

Hi Everyone,

Long time since I’ve been here as my health has been so bad but I’m stump with this issue.

My Brother took out a car on HP. Unfortunately he got into money problems and cancelled it in Sept 2018. They didn’t come to collect the car until 6/12/18! Now they have written to my Brother saying that they have resold the car and the balance outstanding is now over £5000!

Am I correct in thinking that as it’s an HP as soon as he cancelled the agreement and the car collected the payments stop and he only owes to that date! They have re sold the car too.
    Tags: None

No he owes the amount left on the agreement less what they got for the car.

Comment

Oh right. On the citizens advice it says that if the car or Hire purchase is sent back then payments should cease up until that point? I find the exact quote. It doesn’t seem right that the car has gone back they have re sold it and yet my brother still has over £5000 debt? I mean take brighthouse you pay for the time you have the item and if you get into difficulties they take the item back and end your agreement with them, I would’ve thought it’s the same principle. I understand that he will have to pay for the repairs and cleaning of the car plus fees for recovery which is expected. It’s just not sitting right with me at all I’ve been through other HP questions and it seems that with most agreements it stops as soon as the car/item is returned.

Comment

Sorry also just to add they have sold the car outright now the rest of the agreement still includes interest charges for the length of the agreement again shouldn’t this also reflect the fact that the car was given back before the end of contract?

Comment

Hi LouLou

When you say that he cancelled the agreement, how did he cancel it? If he surrendered the car back to the finance co. Then yes the instalments would end but he would be liable for the remainder of the instalments less the option to purchase price and the proceeds from the sale of the car.

What you seem to be describing is a process called voluntary termination which requires a specific way of terminating the agreement. If your brother didnt follow the correct process, then he cannot rely on it.

It's difficult to assist you unless you can be more specific about how he ended the agreement.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply. He now ex partner terminated the agreement. Unfortunately they’re not on speaking terms so I cannot get the information. Taking your reply on board. I’ll speak to them today and see if there’s something I can do for him. His partner has left him with a mountain of debt and fines that haven’t been paid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X